Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LittleJoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2006
Worthington, OH
Hello all...

I have a 120gb 17" MBP 2.16, 2gb memory...

I had bootcamp going with windows XP installed on a 10gig Partition. I then got a little tired with bootcamp for some reason and went thru the bootcamp utility to uninstall it.

Well... after it was done removing Windows from my system I had 2 problems:
1 - On boot up I would get a File Folder icon with a question mark in it before the apple icon.
2 - I went from a 120gig hd to a 111gig hd!

I had planned on a complete Erase and Re-install of OS X to fix a different problem, so I figured now big deal... itll take care of that... but alas it did not.
It installed OS X on my free 111gigs and after the install I only have 96 gigs free :(

So how do I get this lost partition back to my mac?

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Not sure what the problem is.
A 120 Gb drive formats out to 111 Gb (as discussed in here many times - 1000 Kb / Mb vs 1024 Kb / Mb)

OSX takes up a certain amount of room, so do the invisible vitrual memory swap files.
You have 96 Gb free.

In Disk Utility, can you see that your drive is one partition, with no unallocated space?

If so, what is the problem?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Thats also because its trying to default to the windows startup that doesnt exist, simply go back into mac system prferences, click on startup and choose osX, It wont happen again..

LittleJoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 23, 2006
Worthington, OH
oy... I didnt realize it formats out to 111...

thanks for the info.

And yes... the missing folder icon dissappeared after the reinstall.

thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.