Uninstalled English Language Files!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by niez1111, Feb 13, 2013.

1. niez1111 macrumors newbie

i accidentally uninstalled some of the english language files but not all of them. now some items such as garage band or chess are in different languages. yes i used monolingual and i know it warns you. i thought you needed to check the boxes that you wanted to keep, but clearly not. So how can i reinstall this language package back to my mac?

2. simsaladimbamba

3. ksowder macrumors newbie

Yeah.... I was about to mention that the most painless way to do it would be a clean install of OSX. Should only take about 1/2 hour and most likely, your machine will be running more smoothly all around.

4. niez1111 thread starter macrumors newbie

How to I do this "clean install"? And will it deleted any of my files?

5. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

It should restore fine, but ALWAYS have a backup. Don't have a backup, get one.

6. simsaladimbamba

A clean install removes all data in a way, as you format the existing partition to reinstall Mac OS X clean.

But if you use the Recovery Partition (see link in post #2), you can do a normal reinstall, not deleting any of your data), but you should probably do a backup before doing so, and then continue backing up, in case of another cock up.

7. niez1111 thread starter macrumors newbie

i have reinstalled the Mac OS X and it did not reinstall the English language pack. the problem still persists. Anything other solutions?

8. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

9. niez1111 thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there any detailed information on how to do this? Like how is the reformat done? And do I need an external hard drive to use Time Capsule?

10. snaky69 macrumors 603

Yes. How would you be then able to erase your hard drive without losing everything if you were to use the internal drive?

Oh, and it's Time Machine, by the way, Time Capsule is a router made by Apple with a hard drive in it.