Uninstalled Norton Utilities -- still getting dialog on startup

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CaptMurdock, Jan 4, 2009.

1. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

I had installed Norton Utilities a couple of months ago, for reasons that are irrelevant and unremembered at the moment. Anyway, I decided I didn't need it, so I deleted the application file, the preference pane, and all the ancillary files I find in the Library folder. And still I get a "Norton Utilities detects a new version of Mac OS X" dialog box whenever I log on (same with other users on this computer). It's hardly a major inconvenience (just have to hit Return) but what can I do to get rid of this with minimal hassle.

Thanks.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Does Norton Utilities have an uninstaller? Some of these utility apps are rather insidious and get everywhere. Norton is particularly notorious for that on the Windows side. I didn't know they had a Mac version, but I'm sure it's no better.

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

4. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

I'm new to the Mac world, but experience in the PC world tells me NEVER to load anything from Norton on a PC. It is bloated crap that you have to spend hours getting rid of.

Sounds like Mr. Peter has the same intrusions for Mac users.

5. CaptMurdock thread starter macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

I'll check that link out when I have the chance (have to go to work today...nice vacation while it lasted). Thanks!