Uninstalled Paralles, how do I get rid of my Virtual Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by drumkeyjw, Jan 22, 2008.

1. drumkeyjw macrumors newbie

drumkeyjw

I uninstalled Parallels on my Mac but now I have the 20 GB virtual machine space still being taken. How do I get that space back to my main hard drive?

I do not have Parallels anymore and I saw online the solution is to go into Parallels for the fix. However, Parallels is no longer on my machine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for reading...

-drumkeyjw

2. a1016neo macrumors regular

a1016neo

Don't forget under system pref. click your startup disk... Makes it go faster (boot time) Well at least for me :)

3. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I use Fusion to access my Boot Camp partition and not a virtual machine but a virtual machine should just appear as a file in OS X, no? You should be able to just drag the file to the recycle bin. Sorry, I don't know where the default save directory for Parallel's VMs is.

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

i think youve got parallels mixed up with boot camp. parallels doesnt create a partition it uses a virtual machine.

drumkeyjw parallels installs its VM in your documents folder by defaut. just delete the whole parallels folder.

5. drumkeyjw thread starter macrumors newbie

drumkeyjw

richthomas,

thanks for the quick reply. i could be getting them mixed up. right now, when i restart my machine, i have two hard drives mounting 1) my original hard drive 2) the 20 gb partition i made when installing Parallels. i am just trying to figure out how to get rid of this second drive and add its 20 gb to my main hard drive. i only plan on using BootCamp to use Windows, i'm fine with restarting my machine if i want to use it. Parallels was just giving me some problems after i upgraded to Leopard and i wasn't using it all that much. i've deleted every folder named "Parallels" if i search for "Parallels" nothing shows up anymore yet this 20 gb hard drive still mounts as "Untitled". i've attached an image that hopefully can help in some way.

thanks for your response so far!

-drumkeyjw

Attached Files:

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

that untitled hard disk is an NTFS partition that Boot Camp Assistant created and your boot camp in on here. if you only want to use boot camp then your fine.

if you want to remove the untitled hard disk set the hard disks to not appear on the desktop in Finder's preferences. but this will also remove your "JW" disk too. if you want to jsut remove the untitled disk boot into windows and place a "." in front of the C: drive i.e. ".Local C:".

if youve trashed every instance of Parallels youve removed the windows VW fine. :) Boot Camp will still continue to function properly as it is not related to Parallels at all.

did you use the uninstaller in the Parallels install .dmg? theres a few hidden files that will need to be deleted to completely uninstall Parallels.

7. drumkeyjw thread starter macrumors newbie

drumkeyjw

Thank you richthomas for the explanation! It all makes sense now.

No, in my moment of haste and confusion, I did not use the uninstaller. Not very smart at all...I know...

If you know where these hidden files are, I would greatly appreciate it!

-drumkeyjw