uninstalling a download?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jnette, Jan 7, 2008.

1. jnette macrumors member

I just downloaded Firefox with Google toolbar. Not sure I want to keep it and thought I'd uninstall. But all I see is an option to "remove to trash".. is there no "uninstall" option anywhere as there is in windows?

If I move it to trash, will it move the application itself, or just the "shortcut" or the file, or what?

How would I uninstall what I installed ?

Thank you ! :)

2. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

When you drag an application to the trash that's uninstalling it.

There are usually preference files and other small files that are left over, but they aren't worth the time to track down.

3. jnette thread starter macrumors member

Wow. So there's no little moving bar to show it's uninstalling as in windows?
    It's a real uninstall nonetheless? 'Cuz in windows, just placing it in the trash doesn't actually uninstall it. You have to literally uninstall it... that's why I ask.

Very interesting.. thanx so much for the quick reply ! You all are great! :)

4. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

It depends.

Basically, deleting the .app file will uninstall the application.

But some applications (and/or their install processes) do also scatter files elsewhere on your hard drive. It doesn't do any harm to leave them there unless you want the hard drive space back (usually but not always negligible) or are a stickler for a tidy hard drive.

There are other threads in this forum that explain where/how to track them down, and suggest some applications that will help you do so (although personally I just use spotlight).

Unlike Windows, OS X doesn't have a registry or use shared .dll files or anything like that, so uninstallation is generally much less on an issue on Macs. Welcome to the light side. :cool:

SL

5. jnette thread starter macrumors member

And speaking of downloads.. does mac have anything comprable to the microsoft "snapshot viewer" which enables me to view work reports sent by my office/agency ?

I've got that on my windows PC, and would really like to have it on my laptop, but can't use it there as it's microsoft. Was wondering if there was something similar for mac users?

6. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

What type of files are the work files?

7. jnette thread starter macrumors member

Great. :)

And yes.. I'm a stickler for that tidy hard drive.. tidy EVERYTHING! :D
    And stingy with my hard drive space. I'd enjoy learning how to find those extra files... might as well learn, right? Heck, I haven't even learned how to properly utilize "spotlight" yet.

If you can lead me to the links you mentioned on tracking down unneccessary files, I'd sure apprecialte it! I'd love to do some "housecleaning". :p

8. jnette thread starter macrumors member

hmm...... just regular reports, schedules, and the like. Sent as an attachment which are then opened with the "snapshot viewer".

"Microsoft Snapshot Viewer is a royalty free application from Microsoft which will allow viewing of Microsoft Access Snapshot Reports without the need for Microsoft Access.

Microsoft Snapshot Viewer is required to enable viewing of BLIPS Snapshot Reports (.snp reports) which are generated by BLIPS 4.0 and in BLIPS Practice."

Actually, I don't think the office could use the mac version anyway to send my stuff to me..they're all microsoft there. So I guess that's out. No biggie.. I'll just keep getting it on my PC.

9. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

If you are interested, take some time to understand the OS X filesystem. I had the same question when I started here 3 years ago and got some very good answers.

Once you're familiar with that, you can use Spotlight to help you track down those unwanted files. If you're running out of disk space, use a tool like Omni Disk Sweeper (or WhatSize? or Disk Inventory X) to see what's eating your hard drive.

Or, just type the word "uninstall" into the search box in these very forums. The topic has been covered countless times. In fact, most topics have been covered countless times. Oh, and don't forget the guide.

SL

10. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

OP is referring to Snapshot Viewer, so I presume they're something that MS Access outputs.

There's no version of Access for the Mac, so my guess is that there is no equivalent of Snapshot Viewer either.

SL

11. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

There are a few access mac apps, but it's one of those things macs don't do.

12. jnette thread starter macrumors member

Great suggestions, thank you. I do have much to learn yet about the OXS, I agree.

I do poke through and read as much as I can daily, trying to learn a little bit each day. There are only so many hours in a day, sadly. Heh. Ah well. I guess I'm doing pretty good, considering I've only had this old laptop for not even a week now. It's the old clamshell graphite SE with 320 RAM. It's perfect for my needs, though. All my big apps are on my PC..don't need them on the laptop. I just use this mostly for browsing, email, etc.

Soooo...if I decide to run this firefox toolbar after all, how do I get it going? It says no default application with which to open, and it doesn't have a "save" or "run" thing like windows does. It went to my desktop, but I don't know how to get it up and running.

Well, I'll spend time studying daily...this is a great site with soooooo many resources! Great place to start !

Thanx again ! You'll be hearing more from me, for sure. :D