Uninstalling AOL Connect

BadlyDrawnGirl

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
New Zealand
While at my parents' house for two weeks, I installed a little utility called AOL Connect that would allow me access to AOL dialup without having to download the actual AOL software. Now that I don't need it anymore, I've tried to uninstall it, but the stupid little icon is still up at the top of my menu bar next to my Airport and Volume icons. How do I get rid of that thing? It's kind of annoying...

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
How did you try to uninstall it? Did you use the uninstaller? And did you restart afterwards?

BadlyDrawnGirl

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 25, 2006
New Zealand
It didn't seem to come with an uninstaller so I just dragged the application into the trash. I can't drag the icon off the menu bar either, it just sits there. Grr.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
BadlyDrawnGirl said:
It didn't seem to come with an uninstaller so I just dragged the application into the trash. I can't drag the icon off the menu bar either, it just sits there. Grr.
From the ReadMe:

To uninstall

The Uninstaller "AOL Connect Uninstaller.app" is a double-clickable application. After the AOL Connect product has been successfully uninstalled, you will be need to restart the machine. Once the uninstall is complete, a dialog will appear that offers the ability to restart right away.
NOTE: The uninstaller will remove the preference file that stores your AOL locations. Move or copy the preference file (/Library/Preferences/com.aol.connect.lite.plist) if you wish to retain your settings.
You should be able to find the uninstaller in /Library/Application Support/AOL. If the uninstaller doesn't work because you got rid of the app (it should though), try to reinstall the app and then run the uninstaller.