Uninstalling applications on Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by space115, Oct 23, 2009.

1. space115 macrumors newbie

Why is it so such a pain to uninstall applications on Mac?

A third party software is not even needed to uninstall for Windows.

How do you uninstall a program without having to purchase a third party software? I ran a search for the word "uninstall" in the whole application but there was no search results.

Thank you.

2. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

You don't have to have a third party app. You can just drag an app into the trash. The third party apps (AppCleaner is great and it's free, btw) move auxiliary files into the trash. Most of those files are small and if you ignored them, your computer wouldn't mind.

mt

3. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

+1 on AppCleaner. I've been using it for a while now.

4. space115 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nah, I read that basically dragging an application into the trash wouldn't delete or uninstall the whole program completely. There are still some trails left behind. Furthermore, if dragging the application into the trash really does uninstall the whole program completely, there wouldn't even need to have third party softwares like AppCleaner or AppZap.

5. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

That's absolutely correct, some stuff will be left behind, but if you ignored them, your computer wouldn't mind. They aren't executable and generally very small. If you have a concern about using something like AppCleaner, ignoring them behind isn't a horrible option.

mt