Uninstalling apps from Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Aditya_S, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Aditya_S macrumors 6502

I've downloaded Xcode from the Mac App Store and Chrome and Geekbench from the web but I want to know how I can uninstall them later on. Specifically Geekbench because I can't find it in the Applications folder and have to use Siri to open it. There is also an icon of a drive for it on the desktop I can't remove.

2. maculateConception macrumors 6502

maculateConception

Hmm, strange. Is there no unmount/eject option when you right click on the drive icon ?

Also, if you want to find where a .app file (application) is located, you can do so by simply right clicking its dock icon (if it's not always in the dock, run the app first), and choosing Options > Show in Finder. Then, after you've quit the running app, simply delete that .app file from Finder.

Sometimes, in my experience, apps will provide an uninstall script (usually either a shell script or Applescript), often located within the Contents folder when you open up the app file in Finder (right-click on .app file > Show Package Contents), that may need to be run by you, prior to deleting the .app file, to completely rid your system of the app and all its configurations/files, but in most cases, apps can be uninstalled simply by deleting the one .app file.

3. Aditya_S thread starter macrumors 6502

What happens if I eject the drive? Will that uninstall it? Also when I click show in Finder when Geekbench is running it just opens up the drive file where it has the picture showing the icon with an arrow pointing towards the application folder.

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Yes.
    You don't have Geekbench installed at all.
    You are simply running it from the mounted disk image.
    If you eject the disk image, then geekbench is gone.
    If you want to keep Geekbench, drag the app out of the disk image - to wherever you like. The Applications folder would be fine.

5. Aditya_S thread starter macrumors 6502

But then why when I open the disk image it has the arrow pointed towards the Applications folder? Also Siri can open it unless she can also open files that are not installed. When I eject the disk image will it disappear?

6. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Disk images will often show an icon when you open that image, showing you an arrow, alongside the app itself. That arrow is just showing that you can drag the app to that arrow icon (which will, in turn, copy the app to the Applications folder).
    Pretty normal for downloaded apps on a Mac to display that "drag the app to Applications" icon. That's what it means, nothing more, nothing less. It's just for your convenience, and is a reminder that you need to drag the app out of the disk image - unless you want to use it out of the disk image every time. Some apps won't allow that, but many are just fine with not ever leaving the disk image.
    Just gets a little confusing if you don't realize that you haven't copied it out yet. :D

Yes, if you eject the disk image, the image folder (including that app) will disappear. But you will still have the downloaded disk image itself (such as geekbench.dmg), which you can just open again... Copying the app out of the image folder will save you that step, eh?

7. maculateConception macrumors 6502

maculateConception

Like DeltaMac said ^

Aditya, apps on Mac OS X are slightly different from the Windows world. I'm assuming you're a Windows user new to Macs ?

The dmg file (disk image) you probably opened (which I told you to eject/unmount), is kind of like an ISO file in Windows ... it, by itself, does not "install" anything. It is simply a container for app/data/config/whatever files. You can, in most cases, simply run the app by double clicking the application icon that shows up when you open (i.e. mount) the image. Or, if you want to keep the app, you can copy it to Applications or wherever, like DeltaMac said. When you unmount the image, you are making it no longer accessible to the OS. Similar to an ISO on Windows.

Sometimes, however, Mac apps provide installer packages (.pkg is one such format). Those, you have to run to actually "install" an app with a GUI-based wizard. These are kind of like .msi or other Setup.exe files on Windows. These may put files/config in places not immediately apparent, i.e. outside of the main .app file. In those cases, they usually provide a separate installer script/app to *uninstall* that same app.

Geekbench just comes with the one .app file, if I'm not mistaken. So, delete that file, and you're good.

Hope this helps.

8. HenryAZ macrumors 6502

HenryAZ

Find Any File is your friend when it comes to tracking down all of the bits an application leaves behind.

9. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

To add to what Henry wrote above, there is also "EasyFind".
    Works great.