Uninstalling Apps - Mac App Store

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Redfanix, Jan 6, 2011.

1. Redfanix, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011

Redfanix macrumors member

Hi,

how can i properly uninstall apps installed from the new Mac App Store ? ... simple just drag and drop to trash like the "non app store apps" ? because when i drop it to trash, it request password.. the non-appstore app did not request password to unistall..

Apple should make UNINSTALL button inside AppStore...

2. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

Dragging the apps to the trash for me won't work.

3. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Yes. Drag 'em to the trash. Give the system your admin password. Poof - they gone.

The app store app keeps track of what you've downloaded and what's still on your system - it will give you the option of re-installing if you wish (check the purchased tab)

4. spencertherover, Jan 6, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2011

spencertherover macrumors newbie

dragging to the trash doesn't work for me. no poof and still in my applications folder.

Any other ideas?

ok this is what works for me

open applications folder in finder, right click and choose move to trash. after this the app shows in the purchases window of App Store with the label Install. Next question is how to remove it from the app store purchases window?

5. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

I had to drag the app to my desktop, give my password, then drag it to the drag and enter my password again.

6. donkey96 macrumors newbie

donkey96

For you guys who are having trouble dragging to the trash, open the applications folder in Finder, not from a folder in the dock. Then, select the app you want to uninstall, and press CMD-DEL. This will move the app to the trash. You will still have to enter a password, though.

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

After deleting an app, to get rid of it in the App Store just restart the App Store.

8. Ifti macrumors 68000

Can you get rid of it in the purchased items tab in the App Store??

Anyway, simply dragging the app into the trash WILL NOT completely remove is CLEANLY.
    Just like any other application, any app you download and install will have its .plist and other settings files etc.

You still need to use a program like AppDelete etc to cleanly remove the app along with all of its settings files. Either this or open finder and search for the app, but ensure you include system files within the search.

I installed a free app yesterday to test etc (minesweeper), and when removing the app I performed the search in Finder and there were several settings files within my Library that would not have been removed if I had of simply dragged the app to the trash.

9. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

What I'd love to see is the option for archiving the user preference data on uninstall, so i have a nice compressed tarfile that can be burned to DVD, saved offsite, or even just pitched if it isn't needed. This way, I know that the only traces of the uninstalled application on my Mac would be that single tarfile.

10. chabig macrumors 68040

And you would have been just fine leaving those files alone.

11. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

Just to confirm - this isn't true.

I had Tagalicious downloaded from their website and wanted to buy it from the App Store.

Dragging it from the Applications folder to the Trash, emptying the Trash and then restarting the App Store wasn't enough.

I had to delete the Tagalicious folder from /Users/steve/Library/Application Support/ and then restart for the price to appear.

12. BradMacPro macrumors newbie

Removing Mac App Store purchases

iMedia Browser didn't have anything in the Application Support so that trick didn't work for me. There has to be a receipts folder somewhere.

13. nickynora macrumors newbie

i've spent the last 30 minutes trying to figure it out and i think i've got it. i just finish installing some games to my macbook and afterwards wanted to remove it for good. so i trashed the app and checked my apps folder and saw that it was still there. open up your finder and remove the app once more to the trash and it will ask for your permission. allow it. and if you want to double check, try searching for that app on your computer and it will be no where to be found :) i hope this helps!

----------

given the fact that your post was from 3 years ago and i'm sure we have all updated our software, i am able to remove my apps from the purchases of the app store. highlight it and an X will appear. i mean if everyone hasn't yet figured it out.

14. chabig macrumors 68040

Even easier, open LaunchPad. While holding the option key, you'll see an "X" on the app icon. Click the X and the app will be deleted.

15. shyam09 macrumors 68000

shyam09

lol was about to suggest that :)

16. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

Lol. Just like in iOS. That's the first thing I'd try.

17. prasannamano macrumors newbie

Linphone Source code compailation error - In library port instalation

Hi,
    i am new to use mac os. i develop iphone application using linphone application. i have follow all steps using this link( http://shallwelearn.com/blog/?p=6 ). But i have struck in step 5 and get error like

libtool: Version mismatch error. This is libtool 2.4.2, but the
    libtool: definition of this LT_INIT comes from libtool 2.4.
    libtool: You should recreate aclocal.m4 with macros from libtool 2.4.2
    libtool: and run autoconf again.
    make[5]: *** [osip_proxy_authorization.lo] Error 63
    make[4]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[3]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
    make[2]: *** [all] Error 2
    make[1]: *** [build-osip2] Error 2
    make: *** [build] Error 2

and another one i need command for uninstal port in mac os. Any one help me for solve this problem.

18. alvarnell macrumors newbie

There is a difference between applications downloaded from a website and those installed from the AppStore. Apple restricts developers to keeping applications self-contained, so you will not find them to be installing things all over the place as we have been used to. Yes, there will still be preference files and probably a few other things, but in general terms, an uninstaller should not be necessary for AppStore apps.

19. narutokun, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2012

narutokun macrumors newbie

I would like to know how to remove items from launchpad without deleting them from Lion? I've Googled for it, but can not find anything. I've only read about deleting apps from launchpad by clicking and holding on an app? and an "X" will appear? I haven't seen that either. But I just want to know how to remove items without actually deleting them. Thanks!

20. allapon macrumors regular

allapon

Go to Launchpad looking for app that you want to delete. Just Hold "option" button on your keyboard, it will have x on the app that download from App Store. Click x to delete from your machine and restart App Store, App that you remove will have install button!!