Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reaganjh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
I was just posting in this forum
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/406373/
But I don't think it is in the right place.

Anyway, I have tried the scripts and they do not work. I installed developer tools a few months back, just to mess around and have a look at them. Now i want them completely off. Could anyone please help me!? :)

CaptainZap

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2007
Hmmm, the scripts should work, maybe you typed it wrong?

Code:
sudo /Developer/Library/uninstall-devtools --mode=all

So then I tried to type my password and it wouldn't let me type anything in it... Please help! This is bugging me. I want it off because I don't even (know how to) use it.
Hmm, do you mean it beeped when you tried to type or that no stars showed up when you did?

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Nothing does show up when you type your password in Unix, its fine and is actually working ;).

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Nothing does show up when you type your password in Unix, its fine and is actually working ;).

Patience, I was getting there :p. I just wanted a description of the problem from him =D

All you have to do is double click the utility and a real window will pop up asking for your password.

and it sounds like he put the dev tools in a different location requiring a different command.

reaganjh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
omg! it worked. all i did was type my password like it said (and nothing showed up, like you said) and it it worked! i thought i had tried doing that.. thanks for your help!

SRossi

macrumors regular
May 27, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
This is what I put in Terminal
sudo perl /Developer/uninstall-devtools.pl
/Developer/uninstall-devtools.pl
sudo perl /Volumes/Xcode/Tools/MAIN\HD/uninstall-devtools.pl

And I'm getting no such file exists. The Developer is at root level on my HD.

jbechdel@comcast.net

Right if it is in your main HD it should be placed in /Library/Developer/Shared/uninstall-devtools

Before running that drag the Xcode tools directory into the trash and delete that first.

Stephen

offtheroad

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2007
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Do you mean?

Right if it is in your main HD it should be placed in /Library/Developer/Shared/uninstall-devtools

Before running that drag the Xcode tools directory into the trash and delete that first.

Stephen

Do I drag the entire Developer Folder from my root level into the trash first? Then run the code I had.

SRossi

macrumors regular
May 27, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
Do I drag the entire Developer Folder from my root level into the trash first? Then run the code I had.

Yes drag and drop the whole Developer Folder into the Trash and then delete.

Next look in finder for the uninstall-devtools and take note of the path then use Terminal to run the application.

Stephen

offtheroad

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2007
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Thank You

Yes drag and drop the whole Developer Folder into the Trash and then delete.

Next look in finder for the uninstall-devtools and take note of the path then use Terminal to run the application.

Stephen
Thanks very much, I'm a slow learner at 61. Why is everyone having such a problem with this app and where did it come from?

SRossi

macrumors regular
May 27, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
I deleted the entire folder and emptyed the trash and opened a finder window and couldn't see anywhere there might be a path?

What I mean by path is when you open a new folder say "Library" you would type /Library into terminal to access folders/files in that folder. When terminal starts you automatically start in the root folder which is your macs main HD.

Look through finder until you find the uninstall tool, this makes it easier to see what files are there.

Hint. uninstall tool should be in Library, Developer, Shared.

Stephen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.