Uninstalling GarageBand

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by bingefeller, Jun 29, 2007.

1. bingefeller macrumors 6502

I was using App Delete to remove GarageBand and when I dragged the GarageBand icon onto App Delete and hit the delete button, I was prompted for my password by OS X. Is it safe to continue, I don't understand why it's asking for my password and i'm worried that it's perhaps trying to delete some important files or something.

Please help and advise me.

Thank you :)

2. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I don't know of any application called App Delete, but I do know of one called App Zapper.
    Are you an Administrator? If you are not, OS X would require admin privileges to modify the Applications folder. Also, depending on how thorough the app-erasing application you are using is, it might be hunting around in the Library to rid your computer of the various loops that Garageband accesses. In fact, the more I think about it, the more I think that's the cause: Garageband comes with a few gigabytes of pre-recorded sound loops. To avoid multiple space-wasting copies, these loops are stored in the main Library folder (/Library) so everybody can access them. Deleting/modifying anything in the main Library folder requires admin powers.

3. bingefeller thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I am the Administrator.

App Delete can be found here.

So it should be OK to enter in my password?

4. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Should be. I've never used App Delete, but it ought to be just fine. :)

(And if not, this advice comes with a money-back guarantee :p)

5. bingefeller thread starter macrumors 6502

haha, thanks. I deleted it and restarted, just to be sure. I'm always terrified about messing up my computer so that's why I ask these stupid questions :p Also, when anything asks for the admin password, it concerns me a little.