Uninstalling Linux

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Shu15, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Shu15 macrumors regular

I installed Linux in a partition and now I would like to delete it and delete the partitions. I can't really seem to delete one of them, because it says it's "too small" and the other won't really delete. Here's the page with the instructions on how to install it. Install Linux. Here's some screenshots of my partitions in Disk Utility. Thanks for any help in advance! I really need to get the whole hard disk free for just the Mac. Thanks again!:apple:

Attached Files:

2. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

I'm not sure what you did but after you select the partition what's the error after you select the minus/remove "-" button underneath the partition map?

3. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

4. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Repairing a Linux Swap? How would that help?

I think this is more a case of the user not selecting the correct option.

5. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

I did this before and had to completely re install the whole os and reformat the drive in order to fix it.

6. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

No, repairing the disk. There appears to me to be a problem with the partition table as it is displaying the name "disk..." on one of the partitions. Whenever I saw this on my Mac, it was resolved by repairing the disk.

Not necessary until we have eliminated all other possible causes.

7. Shu15 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the help guys. So the overall consensus is that I should repair the drive? I'm gonna do that right now.

When I repair the "DISKOS4" partition and click remove under the drive, it gets stuck on this.
    Picture 1.png

8. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Repair the entire drive, not the partitions. You may have to boot into the Mac OSX install DVD to do this.

9. Shu15 thread starter macrumors regular

I can't repair the whole drive even with the Installation DVD in. Both times, the buttons were faded out.

10. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Do you have an external drive? I know a way to fix your internal hard drive without deleting your data if you have an external drive that can fit all your data you want to keep.

11. Shu15 thread starter macrumors regular

No sorry I don't. I knew I should have gotten one when I had the chance! :eek: Well, thank you very much for helping me. Any other ideas from you or anyone else kind enough to help this poor guy?

12. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Unfortunately the partitioning table has been messed up, so you will need to reformat your drive to fix it. If you have external storage, you can clone the partitions you want to keep with Super Duper, reformat the internal drive, and clone the partitions back.

It is a long shot, but you could also try installing MacFUSE and see if that makes any difference.

Leaving your drive the way it is might work for now, but you risk developing bigger problems down the road that could ruin your data.

13. Shu15 thread starter macrumors regular

The "DISKOS4" was formatted as FAT. Does this have any effect on what I'm supposed to do? And I'm noticing when I type, it's really laggy, even in TextEdit. Any fixes to this?

14. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Whoa, slow down. TS might still be able to rebuild that partition table. It's not so corrupted that he can't boot so it'd be worth a shot with another disk utility. I'd try with the GParted live CD.

15. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Again, having a messed up hard drive can cause problems with your computer, namely slowdowns due to your computer having to compensate or complete crashes. I would advise that if you don't buy an external drive to instead borrow one from a friend. You will need to erase it, so tell the friend to back up their data first.

16. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Heh. I am like always three second behind on this thread.

Yeah, sounds like you're having major issues. Time to start over.

17. Shu15 thread starter macrumors regular

...Alright...Thanks guys. So the final plan is to backup my data to an external and reformat the internal?

18. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Yes. You can use disk utility to format an external (make sure you choose GUID partitioning!) with two partitions (they only need to be big enough to fit your data) for each of the two partitions on your internal you want to keep. Super Duper will clone each partition to an external partition to back it up (Make sure that you check to make sure you can boot off the external!). After you have cloned the partitions, you can safely erase the internal drive. Just add your partitions back and clone your data back to the internal drive by booting into your external and running SuperDuper (you can also use disk utility to clone if you are booted off the OSX DVD).

19. Shu15 thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, thank you both very very much. I'm such an idiot...:mad: Thanks again!

Edit:If I have an external that my parents use to store music, can I put as much music as possible onto their internal and partition that drive and use that to clone? I only have one partition on my MacBook Pro that I want.
    Shu15

20. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Depends on how big that external is.

But if I were you, I'd stop listening to me b/c I've done nothing but give confused, half-thought out replies to questions I didn't read fully, either.

21. Shu15 thread starter macrumors regular

Hahaha it's all good. At least someone's trying to help me!