Uninstalling Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Diiiiips, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Diiiiips macrumors regular

Will it be easy to uninstall Lion if I dislike it?

Has anybody noticed any performance issues on a 2011 MBP with the lowest spec? I'm worried startup and opening programs may become like My old Windows laptop...a tad slow.

2. Novecento macrumors member

There is no uninstall feature in Lion. So I guess you will either need to clone your current OS to another (external) HDD or simply install a clean Lion to another partition.

3. Typswif2fingers, Jul 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2011

Typswif2fingers macrumors 6502

If you have Mac OS X 10.6 (or lower) installation discs don't think that re-install will be a difficult affair (Note post below - this might be an incorrect assumption and might not work, thanks BBB).

Also what Novecento said...

You can partition disk and install 10.7 on a new "test" partition.

Having said that, based on my experience (running mid-2009 MBP 2.66 GHz C2D with 4GB 1067 MHz DDR and an iMac from late 2010, I think its 3.66 GHz i5 with 8GB memory) no performance issues noted, and I had a test partition and now running it "properly" installed.

4. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

I actually did this on the weekend. If you stick your Snow Leopard disks in you'll find that you can't actually use them to install over Lion. What you need to do is to turn the computer off and boot from the Snow Leopard disk (hold the option key). You'll now find that you can't simply install from the disk either (continue button is greyed out) but rather what you need to do is use Disk Utility to erase the drive that contains Lion and then you're good to go.

At least that was my experience this weekend.

5. MacRock macrumors newbie

Thanks

The above post was quite helpful and as near as I can tell, Lion has been sent packing. It wasn't really as simple for me as I had to re-install Snowy about three times, once because the computer forgot the user passwords. So I had to re-set those as well. But so far, all is back in order with MS Office suite, Fetch, Eudora and others back in business. Thanks.

6. troy14 macrumors 6502a

I have a base 2011 MBP and it sucks for me, it's slow. I'm not sure why but just programs lag, I get the spinning ball a lot, etc.

I also don't like the OS, mission control + launchpad is just stupid to me. I realize people don't like change but to me this isn' fighting change it's just the fact that many 'features' are completely annoying, useless, or counter-productive for me.

I'm going back to snow leopard

7. handel30 macrumors member

I installed Lion over Snow Leopard on my month-old white Macbook with 4GB RAM. I have had no problems, but I am using a nearly new and clean notebook. If you have stuff installed on yours, you may very well run into bugs.

8. Epic Xbox Revie macrumors 6502a

Epic Xbox Revie

Snow Leopard will install over Lion using the disk that came with your computer.

9. Diiiiips thread starter macrumors regular

Really? That goes against what most people say I think.

I have the same MBP and am having the same issues. I don't have many programs installed but am noticing the spinning ball for the first time. Shut down speed has stayed th same but startup speed has increased a little. Apps don't open instantly like before either.

I just dnt know how easy it will be to reinstall SL as I'm a Mac newbie.

10. janemichelle macrumors newbie

i don't think its easy at all. Ive been trying to get Lion off of my MBP for a month and no one knows how to. I'd love to do a clean install cuz it really messed my computer up (as in safari doesn't operate most of the time. applications don't close unless i remove the battery from the computer.) My MBP was perfectly fine before this. According to the app store I can't make a copy of it to try do do a clean instal cuz its already installed. But I can't delete it because its no where to be found on my computer. my advice is to not download it. I'll never download from the app store again.

11. ztrafe macrumors member

You can´t "uninstall" Lion.

To reinstall lion: On start up, hold "alt", then choice Recovery HD.
    (To format the hard drive choice disk utility)

To install Snow Leopard just insert the snow leopard disk...