uninstalling nvidia drivers??

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by unixperience, May 24, 2011.

1. unixperience macrumors regular

Hello I have a macbook alum 5.1
    I installed the drivers for the GeForce 9400M from the nvidia website, it said they were for osx 10.6.7 however, after installing the drivers most of my programs crash on opening.

Anyone know how to uninstall the drivers? or to find out what changes they made exactly? Will a simple PRAM reset do the job?
    If it helps i haven't yet restarted my computer. As A lasrt option should i try reinstalling osx(jsut the os, while still keeping my files) or would that defeat the purpose of the reinstall?

THANK YOU so much anyone who can help

2. unixperience thread starter macrumors regular

ok well I foudn a way, i just right clicked on the package "show package contents" poked around in there till i found the compressed (.gz) files that the installer made, uncompressed them, looked for the corresponding files in /System/Library/Extensions/filenames, making sure to look at the version info before i deleted them (256.01 was the driver version so i made sure they all matched first) deleted them and now my programs open up again... maybe after a restart and pram reset it will fix any small details i may have missed

If anyone else still has other ideas feel free to let me know:)