uninstalling programs

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by dubs83, Jan 1, 2014.

1. dubs83 macrumors regular

Is it best to download and use a program like ccleaner to uninstall programs on my mac completely (no misc leftover files)? I just want an automatic way of doing this (like in windows), but so far I'm only seeing tutorials on manually doing it. I have ccleaner for windows and I like it, so curious how good it is for mac.

thanks.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd avoid such programs, you can easily remove apps, either by using the uninstaller (if one is provided), or dragging the app to the trash. Cleaning up the ~/Library folder of the cruft from the trashed app is pretty simple

3. dubs83 thread starter macrumors regular

so there really isn't an automatic way of uinstalling an app like in windows? dropbox doesn't have an uninstaller and I'd rather not play around manually deleting stuff.

thanks

4. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Really nothing to fear...even I can do it!:p

This is a very effective way to delete an app.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

These apps tend to result in leftover files since they don't always know what files are created. worse yet, they can delete stuff they shouldn't and you can wind up with an unbootable system.

7. ReelAction, Jan 9, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2014

ReelAction macrumors member

I routinely use AppCleaner, and have not had a problem.

OSX Daily had it rated as one of the top 4 free utility apps, see this article;

http://osxdaily.com/2014/01/01/4-free-os-x-utilities-mac/

I use CCleaner on my VM Windows partition, and view AppCleaner to be a close equivalent.

8. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Absolutely +1 for this, I'd heartily recommend this program. Quick, lightweight and does the trick.

9. teffers macrumors regular

Same here ... great App.

10. robvas macrumors 68020

Most apps that you just drag into an Applications folder are easy to remove. Just drag them to the trash.

But other apps that run an install which ask for admin privileges can be much trickier. One example is the CheckPoint VPN client, it installs network drivers and after removing the app there are other things leftover that affect network performance and you must manually hunt them down and remove them!