Uninstalling softwares from Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BuddyMac, Dec 30, 2007.

1. BuddyMac macrumors member

BuddyMac

Hi Friendz,

I'm a PC user who turned to Mac now.
    I just got my new MacBook 10 days ago.

I have installed DivX player and Flip4Mac inorder to run some .wma movies... later i realized VLC player will alone do all this instead of having plugins like the above.

So I uninstalled them (Simply by dragging them into Trash Bin) But still I am able to see their Preferences icons in my System preferences.

Please help me out how to completely remove them from my system.

Second issue is... I am using iPhoto.. it is good in terms of organizing photos in Events and the Edit features are simply superb. But it is occupying so much space in my hard drive (Like creating 3 different copies of each photo in Original, Modified and Data folders respectively) and I am not able to HIDE a whole Event in iPhoto... Plz help me out in this also.

Thanks in Advance.
    BuddyMac :)

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

DivX and Flip4Mac, may require an uninstaller, but normally you can just trash them. I would keep DivX (or Perian which is better) and Flip4Mac around in case you want to use Quicktime as it is widely used in many applications.

@ iPhoto, I don't know if you can stop that.

3. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

I agree with the installer comment (although I don't know which programmes have this or not) other than that I search for them in spotlight and remove any remnants left. If you do that, be sure that it is definitely that program and not something else though.

4. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

The "control panel" items you see are in /Library/PreferencePanes. Just delete them and that's it. The application preferences (".plist") files are in the /Library/Preferences directory just below it. If you want to hunt them down & delete them, that's fine, but they're really small and won't hurt anything.

You can also do a Spotlight search for the application-related files.

Attached Files:

5. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

I don't know about divx but I think flip4mac comes with an uninstaller. Usually you can uninstall apps like you did; simply drag them to the trash. There is typically a preference file that gets left behind but I haven't heard of any problems from them. You'll just build up some old pref files.

If you don't have the original install files from the apps in question you may have to download them again. More an more often you'll see apps that come with an uninstaller because they'll install some files fairly deep in your file system.

For typical apps that can be dragged to the trash to remove them you may want to try out AppZapper. It finds all the associated files and folders then displays them for confirmation before you delete them. It has worked great for me and I think there is a trial period if you want to test it out. It only cost $12.95 USD and includes free upgrades for life.

There is a free removal app called AppDelete. It displays files and folders one at a time for delete confirmation whereas AppZapper displays all associated file in a single window.

As for iPhoto, yeah, its library can generate a lot of files. The idea is that you won't have to mess with them in finder. Just work with the iPhoto UI and let it do the rest.

6. BuddyMac thread starter macrumors member

BuddyMac

Waaaw.... This is really great help for me. It worked really well. :)
    By the way.. i have one more question...
    I guess Safari is not supporting all kind of sites (like my bank login) ... so will u guys advice me to have FireFox ?

7. nemex macrumors regular

nemex

Yes, Firefox is a very good option to surf the web. I would really recomend it, and it has a lot of customizations and plug ins available :apple: