Uninstalling Synergy

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JonL12345, May 18, 2013.

1. JonL12345 macrumors regular

Anyone know how to uninstall this app? Whenever I launch it, it seems to just freeze. So, I figure I need to reinstall.

Jon

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Run the installer again and you will see an uninstall option there.

3. JonL12345 thread starter macrumors regular

How do I run the installer again? Just double click on the dmg file?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, double click the DMG, then double click the installer inside the DMG.

5. JonL12345 thread starter macrumors regular

Well, when I double click the dmg, it shows a folder called Synergy with a Synergy icon in it. When I double click that, a window pops up that I cannot click or get the focus of.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hmmm... okay try this. The Synergy pref pane will be in one of two folders.

Click the desktop to bring focus to Finder then hit shift-command-g (all three at once). Then paste the below text in the popup box and hit enter.

Code:
    /Library/PreferencePanes
    That will open a Finder window showing system wide pref panes. Look for the one for Synergy and delete it.

Then do the same thing for the user folder below and delete the Synergy pref pane from there.

Code:
    ~/Library/PreferencePanes
    It should only be in one of these two locations depending on how you did the original install.

Restart afterwards.

7. JonL12345 thread starter macrumors regular

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Run the below command in Terminal tell me what you find. That should show all files with the name synergy on your system.

Code:
    mdfind -name synergy
    Edit: You might clear your browser cache before you do this or you will get listings from web site caches regarding synergy.

9. JonL12345 thread starter macrumors regular

Output is below:

10. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hmmm... I thought Synergy installed a Preference Pane, but I don't see one there. All I see is the app itself and a plist preference file.

Run these two commands in Terminal to delete.

Code:
    rm -rf /Applications/Synergy.app
    Code:
    rm -rf ~/Library/Preferences/com.http-synergy-foss-org.Synergy.plist

11. JonL12345 thread starter macrumors regular

I saw a post where someone said this:

Source: http://superuser.com/questions/456960/how-to-completely-remove-synergy-v1-3-1-from-mac-os-x-10-8

How does the sudo thing differ from your recommendation? Not sure what sudo stands for.

12. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I saw that same post, and that is why I had you looking in those pref pane folders. Apparently the newer version does not install that pref pane or you would have seen it there in Finder. Also the mdfind search would have shown it (pref pane) there if it existed.

Your mdfind result just shows the two files you need to delete. All the other synergy hits are just web cache junk from your web browsing synergy info.

Sudo (superuser) is sometimes needed before a command that requires system privileges above those authorized by the user. For example if you were trying to delete a file your admin level would not allow, you just precede the command by sudo. It is not required in this case though.

13. JonL12345 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm new to Macs so learning fast. :)

After following your code (thanks), I have reinstalled Synergy. Now when I run it, I get the Server or Client? wizard instead of the main screen. However, I cannot click anything on it. :( It won't let me click the checkboxes to choose Server or Client. Or even let me move the window around.

14. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I downloaded it earlier trying to help you and the installer was acting weird like that for me too. I notice on their site is says the Mac version is a beta, so I wonder if it is not quit ready for prime time.

15. JonL12345 thread starter macrumors regular

Its a great app if it works! Not sure how else I can have a seamless Mac/PC dual monitor setup.