Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
England
So, I have this app for my eReader. It's Sony Reader and it's disgusting. I hate it. It's so useless, and it messed up my Sony account.

So I uninstalled (delete from Applications) it and tried to reinstall it to make a new account, but it retained my previous login info.

I looked online and somewhere said to use this command

sudo /Library/Reader\ Library/uninstall-ReaderLibrary.sh

to uninstall it completely, but the command wasn't recognised. Another one I tried said it wasn't recognised. Now I know it can be unsafe using the terminal, but if the commands weren't recognised, then surely I couldn't have messed anything up, right?

And does anyone know how I can uninstall it properly? I get lost trying to do it through Finder.

kryten2

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2012
Belgium
When you go to the Library folder in Finder do you see a Reader Library folder in there? If so are there any files in that folder? Post a screenshot of the contents of the Reader Library folder as attachment. Post screenshots of the output of the following commands in Terminal :

Code:
ls /Library/
ls /Library/Reader\ Library/

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
England
So I can't find anything to do with 'Reader' when I search, so am presuming deleting the app from Applications fully deletes it, though am not entirely sure.

I decided to look in the Library to see if I could find anything and I couldn't, but am a bit worried in case I accidentally moved something in the Library... basically, if I had done something in the Library that would compromise the integrity of my OS, how would I know? Or would I know straight away, as it seems fine now?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Doesn't AppCleaner does the same thing?
In most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.
So I can't find anything to do with 'Reader' when I search, so am presuming deleting the app from Applications fully deletes it, though am not entirely sure.
Are you searching using the method I posted? Or just a simple search? Complete steps 1-7 of those instructions, then take a screen shot of your Finder window and post it.
I decided to look in the Library to see if I could find anything and I couldn't, but am a bit worried in case I accidentally moved something in the Library... basically, if I had done something in the Library that would compromise the integrity of my OS, how would I know? Or would I know straight away, as it seems fine now?
Simply adding something to the Library folder wouldn't affect your system or apps. Deleting things from the Library could, depending on what you delete.

marty1990

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 25, 2011
England
Simply adding something to the Library folder wouldn't affect your system or apps. Deleting things from the Library could, depending on what you delete.

Well I went browsing for stuff relating to Sony Reader's software, but I can't remember if I deleted anything relating to it within the Library.

Either way, how would I know if something was messed up?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Either way, how would I know if something was messed up?
If you deleted something you ought not have, then your Mac would have started behaving all wonky. That is some apps would not be working as they have in the past.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.