Uninstalling windows 7 on macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PeniK, Sep 14, 2013.

1. PeniK, Sep 14, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2013

PeniK macrumors newbie

Hi, just got today a used macbook pro 13". Before that I was using just pc, never had a mac.
    On this macbook pro is installed only windows 7 (without mac os x). Just wanted to ask how can I delete this windows 7 and install a mac os x?? When I boot up my macbook there is only windows 7, doesn't have the option to change to mac while booting up.. :(

Please help!

2. simsaladimbamba

Have you pressed down the OPTION/Alt key after the startup chime sounds in order to see, if you can select what OS to boot from?

And if there is a serial number on the bottom backplate, enter it at www.appleserialnumberinfo.com and tell us what exact MacBook Pro it is, it should be listed as "MacBook Pro5,1" or "MacBook Pro7,2" or something similar, just so we know, with what model we are dealing with in order to provide you better help.

To learn more about Mac OS X: Helpful Information for Any Mac User by GGJstudios

3. PeniK thread starter macrumors newbie

4. simsaladimbamba

Then you need to get your hands on the grey Restore DVDs for that Mid-2010 MBP model, if you can, via Apple.

If that is not an option, and you have an Apple Store nearby, go to them and ask to use one of their Macs to buy and download OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion, it costs 19 USD and will work on your Mac. You need an Apple ID for that.

If that is not an option, go to a friend or colleague with a Mac, as you need a Mac to buy OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion via the Mac App Store (MAS).

If you have successfully done that, make a bootable installation medium: