Uninstalling windows question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by robotjaw, Mar 10, 2011.

1. robotjaw macrumors newbie

hey everyone, new here and i know you guys can help me out!

i want to delete windows off my macbook pro and reinstall a new version cause the one i have no was a trail of 7 from long ago. if i follow the steps on the apple site to uninstall windows and just have my OSX operating system again will i lose anything from my OSX operating system? or will it just make the harddrive one partition again? i use it for school and cant afford to lose all the stuff i have on it. thank you for your time!

also, if i were to just upgrade windows from an updater to a legit version would i somehow wipe out my OSX operating system?

2. mashsensor macrumors member

your windows has its own partition, you wont erase your osx.
    to wipe windows off, just use bootcamp, it takes seconds.

3. robotjaw thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you! just didnt wanna lose anything haha i always freak out about this stuff.

also, i just want to install a legit version of 7 on it. is there a way i can do that without deleting windows and reinstalling it? can i just upgrade it?

4. apd macrumors member

You can boot the Mac into Windows and then install a fresh copy over the existing install. Being a longtime windows user (converted to Mac about a year ago) I would strongly suggest you do a completely fresh install - windows is not good at preserving settings etc without getting in a tangle (unless the current OS is win 7 and you are only making it legit).

5. robotjaw thread starter macrumors newbie

yea i was just gonna do a fresh install of the windows 7 over the one i have already. i was just afraid somehow it would install OVER my OSX i do NOT want that to happen

6. RKpro macrumors 6502

You should be fine. Just take note of the size of your windows partition, and be extra careful when selecting your C drive in Windows installer. I believe bootcamp assistant names your windows partition as C, so you'll know where to put Windows.

I would also make a Time Machine or CCC backup of OS X (if you're not already doing it regularly), just as a precaution.