Uninstalling wine for Mac, Cleaned my Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dumb, Jan 6, 2010.

1. dumb macrumors member

I guess I'm really f'ked but hopefully someone can help me.
    I saw this article at Lifehacker about Wine for mac ( to install windows app).

Later I wanted to unistall it, went to Wine's Wiki Page (http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-7cc34974c2205854cd92c0afbe0a84e102f58abd).

Exact command I typed ( Terminal still remembers what I typed)

rm -rf $home/ .wine
    rm -f $HOME/ .config/menus/applications-merged/wine*
    rm -rf $HOME/.local/share/applications/wine
    rm -f $HOME/.local/share/desktop-directories/wine*
    rm -f $HOME/.local/share/icons/????_*.xpm

sudo port unistall wine-devel ( this was from a diff webstite)
    After I restarted my Mac, All the application except native on a Mac is deleted, I got the Mac Welcome Theme, and all may docs, Music Pics are gone.

Suggestions ???

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Code:
    rm -rf $home/ .wine
    rm -f $HOME/ .config/menus/applications-merged/wine*
    rm -rf $HOME/.local/share/applications/wine
    rm -f $HOME/.local/share/desktop-directories/wine*
    rm -f $HOME/.local/share/icons/????_*.xpm
    Sigh. There was no space between "$home/" and ".wine" .

I don't suppose you have a backup?

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

You shouldn't have put a space between rm -rf $home/ and .wine. All of your files have been deleted. Tell me you have a backup.

Damn! Beat me to it. Practically word for word too. :D

4. dumb thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for fast reply. So, what I typed in actually deleted the Home directory ?
    Little knowledge is always dangerous, Should have just trashed the App and called it a day, I had to use terminal....grrrr.

I did have multiple backups, just the other day my external hard drive died. Hopefully my windows PC wont act up coz then i am really screwed up.

edit : @BlueRevolution: You added the Grin, so that makes a little different :D
    Thanks again for the reply. I'll make sure, I learn some unix before attempting any terminal stuffs. But come one one little warning could not have hurt, everything seemed so smooth.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

That's correct. Be thankful you didn't put a space before $home, too.

If all else fails, you might be able to recover some of your files using Data Rescue. If you're planning to go that route, I would avoid using your Mac until you can try the recovery. You won't get 100% of your files back, though.

Are you talking about at the command prompt or in the article you were following? One thing to note about *nix is that it expects you to know what you're doing, so it'll happily do whatever you tell it to. It's not its fault that you told it to delete your home folder. However, the article absolutely should have. Whenever I tell someone to sudo rm -r, I always warn them to type it precisely or copy and paste. I also avoid adding the f, which makes the command even less whiny and more destructive.

Edit: Where did you find the instructions you followed? I was going to edit the wiki page to add a warning, but the only uninstallation instructions I can find there are here.

Edit 2: Sorry, apparently I'm blind.

Edit 3: It's done. Hopefully the same problem won't befall anyone else. Where did you get the sudo from, though? I don't see it anywhere there.

6. dumb thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for updating. The sudo was from a different site. http://davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/ . I am very picky about making my copy of Mac OS pristine, did not wanted to leave any traces of Wine ( no pun intended :D ).

Stupid part is I made sure there was a space between.

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

But it left a stain, huh? :D

8. dumb thread starter macrumors member

Stainted indeed and kudos to you sir for the wiki update.

Off topic:

I would take this oppertunity to clean install SL again but any opensource or Free Data recovery you want to mention. Also, Formating, Clean installing wont affect my Windows Bootcamp partition right ?