Uninstalling XP Pro on iMac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Mary H, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Mary H macrumors regular

Hi,

I have been having problems with my iMac and I think it might be related to running Windows. So I wrongly assumed that when I deleted Parallels I would also delete the virtual machine. I am reading that I may have been mistaken in that. I am wanting to do a fresh install of Snow Leopard but have temporarily misplaced my disk.

So I decided to do the more complicated deletion mode. I deleted Parallels today. I never kept the dmg file so I can't reinstall it. Then I realized I would need to delete XP Pro.

Can someone please guide me through how I need to do this?

Thanks, mary

2. simsaladimbamba

As the Windows VM is stored in one file in Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Documents / Virtual Machines (or somewhere else, if you decided to do so), you could just delete the file, but know, that you don't need to uninstall Windows. Just delete the file. Btw, the file will not be the source of your problems, it will be probably something else entirely.

Maybe describe us your problems?

PS: You didn't use CleanMyMac btw?

Performance Tips For Mac OS X

PPS: How to uninstall/delete a Virtual Machine found via using "parallels desktop delete windows" as search terms

3. Mary H thread starter macrumors regular

My screen is going funny. It may be the video card going but I hope not. The screen pixelates in different areas. Sometimes it may just be a line or two that goes funny. Other times it may be a square as big as 2" X 2" where it is all distorted. I did a Utilities check and it said I needed to do a re-install. I couldn't do that until I was able to transfer everything to another computer. I now have a new Parallels and everything installed on a different computer so it all needs to come off this one.

Once I have done a fresh install I can see if the problems have corrected themselves. If it is a video card problem, then the computer is toast. :(

mary