Unintended upgrade: best chances?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by realjd, Jun 21, 2010.

1. realjd macrumors newbie

So I learned last night that swimming pools and iPhones don't mix well together. My 3GS is now out of commission and I'm stuck using a crappy $10 GoPhone as a replacement. I wasn't originally planning on upgrading to an iPhone 4, but I don't have much choice now. Having access to my work email and calendar makes my job significantly easier, so I'm suffering serious withdrawal right now!

Since preorders are all gone, and the next Apple shipments aren't until July 17, what do y'all think would be my best bet to get one this Thursday? I'm on the list at a local Radio Shack now (#17, although they only expect to get 10 in on Thursday). I stopped by the local ATT store. The lady I talked to said that they were expecting a "significant" number of units in, and that if I got there by 6AM I would probably be able to get one. I pushed a bit and while she wouldn't give me an actual number, she said that if I was one of the first hundred in line I would most likely be OK.

So is my best bet to just go to the ATT store that morning? 6AM seems a little late. I don't want to camp, but I may get there at 5AM just in case, unless you all think I should get there earlier. I've never bought an iPhone on release day before (usually I wait a month for the craziness to die down), so I don't know how the lines actually get.

Thanks for the advice!

2. CaliKev macrumors member

CaliKev

I know Apple will also have a stock available. More then ATT will for sure.

3. realjd thread starter macrumors newbie

That would be ideal, but the nearest Apple store is an hour away, so I'd have to get up even earlier. Plus, I do have to go to work that morning!

What's the story with Best Buy and Walmart? Are they still taking reservations/preorders? Is Walmart starting to sell them at midnight?