Unintentional Water Resistance Test

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MacManiac76, Sep 10, 2015.

1. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Today I accidentally left my Apple Watch Sport in my pants when I put them into the washing machine. Forgot I temporarily took the watch off and put it into my pocket when washing my hands and arms thoroughly.

It was in the washer for about 10 minutes before I realized it. It was on the first spin cycle when I opened the washer and took it out. The watch was not wet and was warm from the water. I proceeded to turn the watch on and thankfully it booted right up. I think the fact that it was in the pocket actually helped save it as not much water actually got to the watch. Crisis averted thankfully.

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I don't think it matters because it's rated waterproof to 1 meter for 30 minutes.

3. bigred7078 macrumors 6502a

bigred7078

I have taken mine swimming with me all summer. Works as well as the day I got it.

4. MacManiac76 thread starter macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

It was just a brief moment of panic especially since I don't have AppleCare+.

5. bigred7078 macrumors 6502a

bigred7078

Definitely understandable. Enjoy the watch!

6. MacManiac76 thread starter macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

I've had it for a few months and have certainly enjoyed it. I'm getting much more use recently since I just joined a gym and am using the Workout app a lot.

7. Roller macrumors 68020

I've heard about having one's clock cleaned, but this is new territory. Glad it worked out ok. I guess you could say it was a wash. Or maybe that the incident put a new spin on the Apple Watch.

8. MacManiac76 thread starter macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Touchè! :cool:

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I bet you don't have 'sticky crown'. ;)

10. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

A washing machine going into a spin cycle would excert a massive amount of atmospheric pressure onto the watch so depth dosnt come into it.

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Not to get to technical but the centripetal force would increase the water pressure. Atmospheric pressure doesn't come into play and there is no rating for that.

EDIT: Just to add water ingress is probably not the most dangers part. The G-forces exerted could damage the accelerometer and gyroscope.

12. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

That's my bad I knew what I was typing and I was thinking atmospheric isn't the issue lol

13. MacManiac76 thread starter macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

There was definitely some increased pressure as the Watch had turned itself off to protect itself by the time I took it out of the washer.

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I bet that was from the heat, not pressure.