Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appletvgk

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
Im in the market for a UPS. I want it to protect my mac mini and external drives in a power outage, mainly for the feature of being able to turn properly shut my mac. The only thing preventing me from pulling the trigger is the fact that OS X Lion has issues shutting down when certain apps are running and if I'm not present to shut them, the system would be abruptly shutdown when the battery dies. Has anyone found a workaround to this issue?

Winter Charm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2008
Im in the market for a UPS. I want it to protect my mac mini and external drives in a power outage, mainly for the feature of being able to turn properly shut my mac. The only thing preventing me from pulling the trigger is the fact that OS X Lion has issues shutting down when certain apps are running and if I'm not present to shut them, the system would be abruptly shutdown when the battery dies. Has anyone found a workaround to this issue?

If you didn't get the UPS and your system shut down anyways, you'd still have issues...

The only workaround is to perhaps turn off those certain apps while you're going away, or get a UPS that will keep your mac mini running long enough for you to get back from an average trip away from it to shut it down.

You might be able to build an automator script that lets you close those specific applications in once click before leaving your mac mini...

sourceups

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2012

Hi Appletvgk, Winter Charm is correct. I suggest you would still need to consider looking at purchasing a UPS. I don't want to be accused of spamming! But here is a link to my website if it helps you: http://www.sourceups.co.uk/ups-power

If you just need me to answer any questions you may have that's cool too. Hope this helps. If it's now been resolved, no worries!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.