Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS), my iMac and sleep mode

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zfilipov, Jul 22, 2009.

1. zfilipov macrumors newbie

Hi,

First, sorry for the longer post - I have to explain everything...

I just bought a 24-inch iMac, Mac OS X 10.5.7, 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB, 1067 MHz DDR3.

I also just bought an uninterruptible power supply (UPS) from CyberPower. Everything's great, but I still have this one question which is bugging me. What happens when my iMac is in sleep mode and the power goes out? I have set the settings so that my iMac shuts down after 10 minutes of "battery" (UPS) usage, but I am not sure if it will do that when in sleep mode? The UPS is connected to my iMac via USB cable so that they communicate to each other in the case of the power outage, etc.

This is what somebody wrote elsewhere on this topic:

"Using the Deep Sleep widget, I've worked around this issue: I changed the default sleep behavior to Safe Sleep (hibernation+sleep).When I'm on the grid, my computer will now safe sleep after 3 hours of non-use. If I go off the grid and onto UPS while the MP is awake, the Energy Saver preferences will safe sleep after 1 minute. If for some reason this doesn't occur, Energy Saver will invoke a shut down after 5 minutes. If I go off the grid and onto UPS while the MP is safe sleeping, no big deal since contents are written to the HDD and RAM with this configuration."

I've downloaded the Deep Sleep widget and am using it now. Obviously, the user up there is using a MacPro, and not an iMac, but it should work the same.

So, I am not concerned about losing data, and blah, blah, blah... what I am most concerned about is my iMac not working properly because it wasn't shut down properly. I know that there is a very low risk of this happening, but I've spent big bucks on this iMac and I want to make sure that it is shut down properly 100% of the time, if I can help it. If my iMac loses power when in deep sleep, will it be ok? Obviously, I am still using the UPS in deep sleep, but that UPS (battery) power will not last long and will shut down. I am going to turn my iMac off when I don't plan on using it for several days, but if I'm just out and about and the power goes out and my iMac is in deep sleep, will it be ok with the power going off?

I contacted CyberPower and this is what they had to say after a long back-and-forth...

"You will want to use the deepsleep tool. I had the belief that sleep was the same as windows hibernation where everything is saved to disk. Since deepsleep will save to the hard disk, you would not lose anything when the power is lost when the battery runs out."

Despite all of this, I wanted to hear what everyone else thinks about this, especially those of you who might have experience with this kind of stuff. What do the rest of you do when it comes to UPS, etc.?

Thank you for all the help.

2. zfilipov thread starter macrumors newbie

3. emt1 macrumors 65816

Dude you're nuts. You can just yank the power cord out of the wall while the iMac is on and nothing catastrophic will happen. It's 2009.

4. pjmburg macrumors newbie

I know MacBooks write memory to disk when they go to sleep so if the battery fully dies or is removed, any data can still be restored. I'm not sure if this applies to iMacs though, but I wouldn't be surprised.

5. zfilipov thread starter macrumors newbie

You are crazy.