Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) Question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Danno Bonano, Jun 17, 2013.

1. Danno Bonano macrumors newbie

I've just moved to an inner burb...mature trees + above ground power lines = trouble.
    I've been told, but not confirmed, that recent iMacs need "sine wave power" and that most of the available UPS models lack this. I've been able to find these from APC (seemingly the most popular UPS company, at least in the US) but they are at least $300 US. CyberPower has them cheaper, but I've never used one from that company. Any advice???
    Another consideration is that some of these seem like they are constantly providing power through the circuits (not just when on battery). I have a good desktop audio system, and I know from audio experience that small changes in power supplies can make big changes in audio quality. Do any of the UPSes bypass power when not on battery or do they all "filter" it in some way through the circutry all the time? I just want to make sure I don't mess up my audio when I try to protect my Mac.
    Anybody have an experiences with, or good information about sine wave UPSes? I probably have a 200 Watt load max (27" iMac, AirPort Time Capsule, Printer). Thanks in advance!

2. drsox macrumors 65816

drsox

See this summary : http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/252532-28-purest-sine-wave-output.
    Non sine wave power is basically a series of ziggurats up and down in voltage as opposed to a smooth curve, but AFAIK mains supply isn't pure either.
    I had a Belkin UPS that wasn't very good and neither my NAS PSUs nor my Corsair PSU in my PC liked the output much (they would buzz when on UPS power).
    However, APC UPSs are very good and can be as low as $70. I have some 1500W APC units that are excellent but these are $200+ each. My advice is to find a suitable APC model.

3. takeshi74, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2013

takeshi74 macrumors 601

As always, consider existing threads, read reviews, etc:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Cyb...78,d.eWU&fp=146b86452caa966d&biw=1920&bih=995

Definitely confirm that. Few things these days seem to require pure sine wave.

A sign that they need pure sine.