Uninvited guest

Hughm

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2009
Vancouver
I am the only user of my MacBook Pro (Lion). I have disabled the "guest" account.

Yesterday, right out of the blue, a guest login option appeared next to my usual login image on the login screen. I went back to insure the guest option was disabled, re-booted . . . and there it was!

What gives?

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
Do a search on this forum - this has been asked and answered several times.

If you log into guest, it will just be a web browser in kiosk mode.

Phil A.

Staff member
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
It shows if you enable Find My Mac and is a safari only login mode.
If you want to disable it but keep Find My Mac enabled, set the check box against "Disable restarting to safari when screen is locked" on the Security & Privacy system preference pane

Attachments

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
I am the only user of my MacBook Pro (Lion). I have disabled the "guest" account.

Yesterday, right out of the blue, a guest login option appeared next to my usual login image on the login screen. I went back to insure the guest option was disabled, re-booted . . . and there it was!

What gives?
did you just recently do an update?

im pretty sure that guest account was added in 10.7.2

TheOriginalKi

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2011
Belfast
It shows if you enable Find My Mac and is a safari only login mode.
If you want to disable it but keep Find My Mac enabled, set the check box against "Disable restarting to safari when screen is locked" on the Security & Privacy system preference pane
Surely if you disable it, then that renders Find My Mac useless? As for it to work, some one needs to find it and log on to the guest account and then hook it up to a wifi point? I'm new to Macs so I may be wrong!