Unique Boot Camp problem... I think? Help?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by onthecouchagain, Aug 30, 2011.

1. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Hi folks, my girlfriend is trying to get Windows 7 to run via Boot Camp on her 2011 MBP. She's running into a slew of problems and my inadequate Mac knowledge is at a lost. The issue is, she downloaded a Windows Professional 7 Upgrade package from her school website. Now she claims this was the only option, and that this is precisely the same program her schoolmates used to install WP7 on their Macs (I had initially thought she needed something more along the lines of a WP7 Service Pack installation, but whatever I guess?).

Anyway, so she burns what she downloaded from her school website onto a DVDR. This is where I'm guessing the problem is beginning. Can she just simply drag over all the files she d/led onto the disc to burn, and it'll be a bootable drive? What's the process here? Has anyone d/led WP7 from their own schools to use via Boot Camp? Shedding any light on this I think will go a long way. No info is too much!

So she runs Boot Camp Assistant and it helps her partition (60 gigs she chose), and it tells her to insert the WP7 CD (the one she burned by dragging all the files over) and she clicks "install" or whatever the prompt is. Her comp reboots to a black screen and says "No Bootable Device."

She has to force shut down and hold Option key to get to the gray screen to choose the MacHD to get back to her computer. We've tried booting with the C button (to try to boot from disc) and by inserting the CD after we saw the gray boot screen. No avail. Her Pro simply won't pick up the disc as a bootable WP7 installation disc.

Help? I'm convinced it's the WP7 installation disc itself. Any other thoughts? And what can we do?

Thanks for reading this far.

2. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

Add the ISO to Disk utility and burn it with it... it should be bootable.

3. onthecouchagain thread starter macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

After she adds the ISO in disc utilities, and clicks Burn, it opens the Finder and tells her to select an ISO image or something. And she can't pick the ISO file (it doesn't show up even though it's still there on the desktop). What now? =T

4. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

In Disk Utility, select the ISO on the left side pane, then click burn... it should burn with an empty DVD-R in the drive. As long as the ISO is selected on the side pane, it shouldn't ask you to select an ISO image.

5. onthecouchagain thread starter macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

You are right. There was miscommunication between GF and I. Thank you bb426.

6. bb426 macrumors 6502

bb426

No problem! Was she able to make the disk work?