Unique features of iWork?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sven11, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Sven11 macrumors 6502a

I heard lot of people saying that iWork is superior to other office suites, especially when it comes to presentations. Now can anyone list unique features of iWork that Microsoft Office and LibreOffice don't have? Would make things easier if I work on a friend's computer or have to export files in another format, so I don't have to search for a feature that simple isn't available or incompatible.

2. mtngoatjoe macrumors regular

mtngoatjoe

I'm not a heavy productivity software user, but I do like Numbers. One thing Numbers does that Excel can't is have multiple tables on one sheet. This makes formatting data MUCH easier. Think of it this way, in Excel, every cell in a column has to be the same width, and ever cell in a row has to be the same height. This usually means that people create one sheet for the data, and one sheet for the presentation. That's not always ideal. With numbers, it's easy to format different groups of cells and place them anywhere on the sheet, even on top of other cells.

3. buddyspencer macrumors regular

4. Sven11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Also heard some critics about the new version, but Apple will fix them, so they say.

Personally I don't have a problem with it.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

For certain the current version is a regression from the previous one, in terms of features. But to your question, it needs more specificity to be answered properly. Not only is the iWork suite three very different apps, the design approach is very different than Office. It isn't about feature load, it's about getting features right.

6. Sven11 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I want to know everything that isn't available in MS Office or LibreOffice when I work on a computer that isn't a Mac and doesn't have iWork installed.

7. mtngoatjoe macrumors regular

mtngoatjoe

Of course, you would then use the online version. Whenever I need to update one of my Numbers spreadsheets, I open it on my Mac at home, my PC at work, my iPhone when I'm out and about, and my iPad whenever it's convenient.

Also, as someone else mentioned, it's not about the number of features, it's about doing the features right. I think Pages, Numbers, and Keynote are all great apps, but as with most things Apple, you'll like them or you won't. Good luck!

8. saberahul macrumors 68040

Well Keynote has better transitions than PowerPoint and is much easier to use (IMO). Otherwise, the biggest advantage for me is the seamless iCloud sync between my documents and iCloud.com. I use Pages a lot and haven't had many issues.