Unique item return question.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jshbckr, Sep 14, 2007.

1. jshbckr macrumors 6502

During my calls to Apple regarding the iPhone price drop, I received the worst customer service I've ever experienced from Apple. A retail employee treated me with no respect and hung up on me.

I called up Apple's customer support to complain and as an apology for the customer service, they are sending me a Plantronics Explorer330 bluetooth headset. It is supposed to arrive today via FedEx.

Now, I'm wondering, is it possible to return this to the Apple Store for credit? I'm not really concerned with a refund, I don't want to just take the money from Apple. I wanted to put it towards either the Apple bluetooth headset or an Elgato EyeTV.

Would I run into problems trying to do this?

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Just be happy you got something for free from them. I don't think you can return it, but I could be wrong

3. jshbckr thread starter macrumors 6502

I had a feeling people would say something like this. It's not that I'm not happy they sent me something for free-- it's great. It helped restore some faith in Apple that they really care about their customers. But at the same time, I think I'd maybe like to put this value towards something else at the Apple store.

4. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Just sell it on eBay or CL or here. I highly doubt apple would let you return it

5. GavinTing macrumors 6502

GavinTing

I highly doubt you could return it:D You could always ebay it for some cash.. :)

6. jshbckr thread starter macrumors 6502

Well after they called me to verify all of my information, they sent me an order e-mail. The page I was sent to in the e-mail was identical to an Apple Online store order page. It looked just like I had ordered the headset except the billing address was Apple Corporate.

7. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

I'll give you 40.00 for it shipped. Since it's 49.95 on apple's site. As long as in it not pink

8. jshbckr thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I'll be heading to an Apple Store tomorrow. I just tried it out and I'm really not happy with it. The quality is sort of muddy and crackly, even with the phone 2 feet away sitting in my hand. It also isn't very comfortable.

I think that even though Apple did send it to me as a gift, if it isn't of very good quality, thus not worth owning, I think I should be able to take it back.

9. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

Not only did you get it for free but someone had offered you over $30 for it.
    Why should you be able to take it back when you didn't pay for it and they don't owe you anything?

10. jshbckr thread starter macrumors 6502

First of all, although it was free, Apple was trying to compensate me for their poor service. That compensation was in the form of this bluetooth headset. I've now tested it and found that it isn't a satisfactory product. Shouldn't I be able to return it for a product that WILL be satisfactory?

11. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Why are you arguing with us here on MR? Ultimately your apple store will have the final say on whether or not they issue you some sort of refund, not us. Clearly you have already made your decision on what you want to do, so arguing your case here really does you no good - it's neither going to sway your plans nor sway Apple.

Push come to shove, just eBay it or sell it here on MR. You'll lose a little over retail, but considering you didn't pay for it anyways, it's not like you're taking a loss.

12. dancho macrumors newbie

Yep totally agree, I believe free things don't come with a warranty. Since the item has not been purchased.

jshbckr, I think the way to make money off a free product is to sell it personally on ebay or other online auction sites.

13. jshbckr thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not trying to "make money off a free product." I'm trying to reallocate the value of the product they gave me to another product from their store. They felt it suitable to compensate me with an item of the value of $50, and the item in question does not function very well and while I'm extremely happy they were willing to give me the item, I don't think it's out of the question to want to get a different product that will satisfy me more than this device has.

I don't think it's fair to say that I'm not being happy that they sent me something for free. I was very happy about their willingness to do so and that I'd be getting a bluetooth headset. However, upon using it, I found that it has poor quality and isn't the device I thought it would be.

14. jshbckr thread starter macrumors 6502

Just got back from The Apple Store and they took it back without a problem and gave me a gift card with $52.95 on it. I put that with my $100 iPhone credit and got myself an EyeTV for free (and there is a twenty dollar rebate on the EyeTV). They also gave me 30% off .Mac, so I picked that up, as well. I love Apple.

15. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Congrats!

I don't know why everyone was so bitchy to you (well, a lot of people like to think that Apple is just doin' them a solid), but you definitely did the right thing. I'm really happy that it worked out for you.