Unique Situation for iPhone 6 Purchase (Sprint)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MrBean483, Sep 12, 2014.

1. MrBean483 macrumors newbie

I have a weird situation for my upcoming iPhone 6 upgrade that I need some help from you guys. I know this is topic that is discussed to death here, so be a little patient here.

I live in the states right now and have ATT for last 5 years and currently have a 4S.

I want to buy iPhone 6 to upgrade, however, I am planning to move to India in about 4 months for good and would like to continue to use it with a SIM card of a carrier in India with LTE.

Before iPhone 6 the answer was clear, it was not possible. The models sold in the US did not carry the LTE bands used in India, so none of the phones, ATT, Verizon or Sprint would work for LTE as India uses(Bands 38. 29 and 40)

But for the iPhone 6 the A1586 model offers this opportunity. This model will support the 38, 29 and 40 bands, along with bands in the US and elsewhere in the world.

So I am thinking of getting a full price Sprint phone from Apple when it is available in the Apple store. I am assuming that since I am paying full price Sim slot will come unlocked for international carriers (and if it doesn't, I will unlock it via Sprint process after 90 days)

Can someone advise if this strategy would work. Also, has anyone used an international unlocked Sprint iPhone 5S on any international network(including LTE)?

Thanks in advance.

2. MrBean483 thread starter macrumors newbie

Bump, wondering if anyone has bought a full price Sprint iPhone 6 and can verify if the international SIM slot came unlocked.

3. Tallfish0919 macrumors member

Tallfish0919

Sprint phones are locked, even if you pay full price for one... They will probably always will be... Buy an unlocked phone

4. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

Actually, if the OP is willing to have service for 90 days then this would work. Sprint will unlock for international use just not domestic use.

Sprint phones are different in that paying full price simply means contract free.

However, realize OP, that if you do return to the States, the phone will still be locked to Sprint.

5. MrBean483 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. I think I am going to get the Sprint version and wait for the 90 days to get over.

Just one clarifying question, on the Sprint phone with an unlocked international SIM slot, if I slip in a SIM for let's say Vodafone in the UK, the LTE will work correct?