Unique Situation...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sorrycharlie, Aug 8, 2009.

1. sorrycharlie macrumors member

Hi everyone. I believe I have a unique situation to ask about related to buying an iPhone.

I'm from the United States, currently living in Brazil. I'm going back to the United States in a few months and I'd like to have an iPhone when I go back - especially since I'll need to maps application when I arrive in New York City. Anyway, my father lives in the U.S. and is currently eligible to renew his contract with AT&T. Therefore, he could purchase a new iPhone 3GS at the lowest price. In theory, I would like him to purchase the iPhone on his account, then send it to me so I can unlock it, use it in Brazil, then switch it back to AT&T once I get back to the States. So here's my question to you guys and gals...

After my dad buys the iPhone, is there a way I can have him put his SIM chip back into his old phone and not have to continue paying the big data fees after he sends the phone to me, and then just have him re-start the fees once I get back into the U.S.?

Please let me know what you know about this, and feel free to ask me any questions if what I've described so far doesn't make any sense. Thanks and peace and happiness to you all!

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Just have him get the phone for you, and put his sim back in his old phone, and make sure that AT&T takes off the data plan. They should/will take it off, it is only required if you are actually using an iPhone, and you can unlock it when you receive it and do whatever you please with it. :)

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I could be wrong, but I don't think he can immediately send it to him, since they'll want the phone back if he doesn't have the data plan.

4. sorrycharlie thread starter macrumors member

So he wouldn't be able to cancel the data plan, or at least put it on hold, unless he gives back the iPhone to AT&T? Don't customers have the right of keeping the product that they pay for? It's not like the customers are "renting" the iPhones, right?

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Once he signs the contract and has the phone, he isn't obligated to actually use it, he can switch to a different phone if he wants that doesn't require a data plan. As long as he signs the contract AT&T is happy, at least that's how I would imagine it would work. That is how it would work on Verizon, as soon as a contract is signed it is up to the customer on what they want to do with the phone and what line they want to use it on/if at all. :)

6. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

No, you're not renting the phone, but you sign an agreement. You can terminate after 30 days, but then you have to pay an ETF. That's the only way I know to keep your phone and not get a data plan. Of course, this all relates to getting a subsidiized phone. If not, then the rules are different, but the phone costs double.

This is the way I understnad things. Also see below: