Unique Upgrade Swap Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Psant, Jun 12, 2010.

1. Psant macrumors regular

Okay, so I have a another questions (sigh) about upgrade swap for the iPhone 4. Please don't kill me if the answer is blatantly obvious. But, I have read the "upgrade guide" and it didn't really answer my question.

So, right now, no one on my family plan is eligible for a standard full upgrade, including the primary line (upgrade date is 1/10/2011: DARN).

However, I have a friend who is on a family plan (completely separate) and his parents don't care about phone upgrades, so he offered to let me use his upgrade on one of his lines. He lives in North Carolina and I live in Massacusetts.

So I guess my question is

1) Is this even possible to do?
    2) How can this be done? Through online order?
    3) What sort of charges would there be on his line? Like adding a data plan?

Can someone give me the exact steps to take to do this, taking into account how far apart we live?

Thanks and sorry if this was "just another post"

2. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

3. elephunkman macrumors 65816

It's possible:

1) He gets the iPhone via web order or in person.
    2) You either pay him then he ships or vice versa.
    3) He calls in and makes up a BS reason to remove data plan.
    4) You call AT&T to add the data plan to your account because you got an iPhone 4. Say it was a gift if they ask how.

4. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Well, I stand corrected.

5. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

yup. makes sense.

6. Psant thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies guys! One more thing, after I say I received the iPhone as a gift, then they will activate it on my line? Does that mean that I can keep my unlimited data plan and they will simply switch my account to the microsim that shipped with the phone?

Thanks for the speedy responses!

7. Psant thread starter macrumors regular

8. Psant thread starter macrumors regular

So, if I already have a 3GS right now with an unlimited data plan, could I just ask them to activate the microsim that came with the iPhone 4? Or would I need to go in-store and get a unique microsim for the phone?

9. Fuizer macrumors member

First of all yes, you can keep your unlimited data plan. Your scenario is just like finding a nice new shinny iPhone 4 on the street. Just don't do anything to your line until you get the iPhone 4 and have them set it up with you're account.

As for the microsim, I'm not 100% sure, but my best guess is that the sim will be registered to your friends account. They may be able to transfer your data to that sim, but I am skeptical to if they could. You would be much better off dealing with people in person during this whole process anyway, which is why you should go into an AT&T store to have them add the new iPhone 4 to your account and they can give you a new sim with your info on it.

10. Psant thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I'm sure the waiting times on the phone will be ridiculous. Thanks for the advice!

I sure wish I could find a shiny new iPhone 4 on the street. I would sell it to Engadget this time around.