Unique use of App Store for Apple?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by swr2000, Sep 10, 2008.

1. swr2000 macrumors member

I know that Apple primarily uses iTunes to notify firmware updates. Why couldn't they add in a generic App under the App store that they could use to push out a global notification? It's not exactly a text message like what was sent out with 2.01 but it's a way to reach all users.

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

You're right. It's not exactly the same. It just does the same thing, and is more complicated and less effective.

So...why, exactly?

3. icewing macrumors 6502

Hang on...this might be a good idea. Instead of having the service providers push a text message to everyone, this would show up on your phone - with a badge on the App Store when updates are available for your applications.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

An update to the iPhone app store to do this WOULD be something neat.

The impression I got from the O.P., however, is that he's talking about an IM system that ONLY gets IMs from Apple. Considering that only 5-10% of users would download that, they'd STILL have to send out a text message. Meaning, if you download it, you get a notice twice while at the same time you lose a spot on your home screen.

5. swr2000 thread starter macrumors member

This is what I meant, sorry for being unclear. I figure it's easier for Apple to flick a switch that would be a global update instead of sending out 5 Million text messages.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Ok, I like the idea of having more of a "push" nature of app updates, but I'm betting that's not possible until they add the 'push notification' service to the phone. When that will be, who knows? But once it happens, we might actually get something that works more like this in regards to all the apps.

So that's possible.

The problem with your overall idea (relating to AT&T's last text message about updating) is that those messages were related to the iPhone OS itself. Simply put, there's no way for the phone to update ITSELF in that way. The computer would have to do it over USB. Given that limitation, the fact that it's built into iTunes makes sense. You have to plug into a computer to run the update, so notifying you on the phone in a special way doesn't gain you much. It's not like you can do anything about it until you get home anyway. So it would be exactly the same as the text message: A note saying "plug in later."