Unique Vintage Macintosh 128k

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Wilsocks, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Wilsocks macrumors newbie

Wilsocks

I recently cleared out my mothers basement and found an original Macintosh 128k with the original keyboard, floppy disk reader, mouse, and printer in all working condition. Unfortunately the box was no where to be found but I was able to scavenge a few users manuals. I ran the serial code through a decoder and discovered it was the 844th Macintosh 128k made which made me pretty excited. After a few days i finally got around to dusting her off and noticed there was a label on the back below the FCC ID that labeled the Mac as a 512k. After doing some research i discovered Apple had an upgrade option where users could send their Mac's in to be upgraded. Does this make the Macintosh more valuable or does this mean it's essentially a 512k? It's a bit confusing situation since 128k upgraded to a 512k is probably more rare than the original two together. So it's very difficult to know just how rare and valuable it is. Either way it's nice to have this amazing piece of history though.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you all have to say about this mysterious and crazy find. Cheers.

2. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

It makes it basically the same as a 512k. From what I've seen, a majority of 128s that survive today were upgraded. It's harder to find one that is truly original.

Also, yours is probably the 844th made in a certain week, not the 844th overall. For example, I have one whose serial number indicates it was the 107th made in the last week of 1983 - so not even a 1984 manufacture date!