Unison 2.0.5 Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cptodd, Jul 1, 2010.

1. cptodd macrumors newbie

All,

Just wondering if folks are having the same issue as I am with Unison. After using it for a while I have begun to notice that it takes a LONG time to download (and group) the same amount of headers that used to take no time at all. I have also noticed that it is causing my computer to read a LOT of information from my HD. So much so that the HD becomes noticeably warmer to the touch (of the case of my unibody 13" MBP). Finally, it has become increasingly difficult to quit the program. I quit but then it hangs forcing me to either wait the few minutes before it quits or doing a "force quit".

Can anyone think of what might be wrong here? I suspect that it is perhaps an issue with the DB and as such I would like to reset it or repair it somehow . . . but I don't know how to do that.

If I can't fix these issues I guess I might have to start over again by deleting all of my preferences but right now I don't think I want to do that!

2. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

Yep, I know what you are talking about.

The issue is how Unison handles the database of files from very large newsgroups. The more groups you have -I believe- the harder the time the database engine has keeping it all straight. You then see long disk accesses which then raise the temperature of the system.

I like Unison but I don't think its database is as mature as say Forte Agent on Windows. Forte Agent has been around a long time and I have not noticed the same issues on it as I have with Unison.

Though, I really do like Unison, this is a frustration. What I do is blow away Unison's preference file and database store every 7 to 10 days. Unisons starts 'new' again, and I have to grab the headers but it remains fast for awhile then it degrades and I do it all over again.

I wish there were some better alternatives to Usenet on Mac but I'm grateful for Unison after the disaster Thoth was...

Cheers!
    -P

3. cptodd thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, Unison is quite good but this slowing down thing is really bad. I do hope they get this fixed as I do love the program!

I guess I will have to delete the pref files! SIGH!

4. ooninay macrumors member

I bought the 2.0 upgrade but have since reverted to 1.8 because of slowness and instability - fairly frequent crashes, as well as inexplicable stops when downloading a lot of binaries. I'm going to wait for a few patches before I try it again. 1.8 may not be as slick as 2.0 but for me it's very reliable and snappier.