Unistalling Symantec Endpoint Encryption

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bunnspecial, Oct 5, 2015.

1. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

A few months ago, my university(employer) started requiring whole disk encryption for "sensitive" data-including both research data and student data-both of which I have.

I have always used personally owned Macs, and currently am(primarily) using a Mac Pro 1,1 and a Macbook Pro. Both are running File Vault on 10.9. When the encryption team came by, I just showed them that file vault was on with both computers, and sent them on, as I DON'T want IT messing with my personally owned computer.

In any case, they "suggested"(i.e. not required) that I install Symantec Endpoint Encryption which would allow them to retrieve my file vault password. I downloaded and installed SEE from their website, but have not set it up for three reasons:

1. My file vault password on both computers is a password I'm very unlikely to forget

2. If I do forget it, I can recover it through iCloud

3. After consulting with other faculty, I'm very uneasy about giving IT this "back door" into my personally owned computer.

So, with that in mind-SEE is now bugging me to set it up, but I can't figure out to get rid of it. I used Spotlight to find all "Symantec" files(this is the only Symantec program I have) and deleted all it found, but the set-up is still pestering me.

The Symantec website says that the uninstaller should be included in the install package, but it seems as though my university stripped the uninstaller from their download.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get rid of this annoying piece of software?

2. blackboxideas macrumors member

I'd recommend using the uninstaller that should be part of the package your IT dept have. However in the event that this isn't available you can use the RemoveSymantecMacFiles tool here: https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH103489.html

This won't remove Symantec Administration Console, but I'm assuming you've just got Endpoint installed.