United airlines checked baggage question

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yg17, Jan 28, 2009.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

OK, so I'm trying to figure this out. I know on domestic flights, barring any sort of elite status, you have to pay for checked baggage. And on international flights, you don't. But what about if your trip is 2 legs, one domestic and one international (in my case, STL-ORD and ORD-LHR). Do I have to pay the fee for the domestic leg? Or since my final destination is international, do I not need to pay? United's website does not really make this clear.

If the answer is that I need to pay, then I have a second question. I'm returning from Berlin, so I have TXL-FRA-ORD-STL, and the TXL-FRA and FRA-ORD legs are codeshared on Lufthansa. I know Lufthansa doesn't charge fees on domestic flights, but if United wants payment for the fee on the ORD-STL leg, can I pay it at the Lufthansa checkin counter in Berlin, or do I have to do it at United's counter in Chicago?

And I suppose a 3rd bonus question not related to baggage: Can Lufthansa issue me a boarding passe for the United ORD-STL leg at checkin in Berlin?

Thanks

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

If your destination is international you don't need to pay for luggage (assuming it's under 50lbs). I'm not 100% certain though because my wife is a premier associate so we don't have to pay for domestic luggage. Just in case you really want to make certain, just call United's customer service.

I have absolutely no idea about the rest of your questions though.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If your destination is international you do not have to pay. I was in the same boat as you are and I didn't have to pay with AA or UA.

4. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Cool, thanks everyone.

And I don't know if you've ever had to call United's Customer Disservice, but asking on an internet forum where someone is bound to know is a lot easier and a lot less stressful ;)

I had to call them about something else recently and after that, I think I'd rather swim to London than deal with them :D

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Yeah, they tend to pander to those with a status with them. My wife has few problems with them and her father, who will hit 1 million miles in the seat sometime this year, always gets what he wants quickly. Sucks for everyone else though.

I see you have an iPhone. Try this Sick Bag iPhone Holder on your flights. It works great.

Have a great trip.