United States - International keyboard layout

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MarlboroLite, Jan 20, 2008.

1. MarlboroLite macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

Just a quick question, before I switched I used to use the United States - International keyboard layout on windows which is what I am used to, it's just the standard US layout but with a few differences for accents and other characters, but I can't find it on the keyboard preferences in OS X.

Does anyone know what I am talking about here? I would really like to have this layout and I hope it's not just a windows thing :(

2. theman macrumors 6502a

3. MarlboroLite thread starter macrumors 6502a

MarlboroLite

Yes I looked there, but the only options I see are US and US Extended, not US International :confused:

4. TrueVenetian macrumors newbie

You need an external utility

I ran into the same problem two years ago and an experienced user told me there was no solution inside OSX. I found an external utility that did the job. I don't know the name but it may have been the one here:
    http://www.brockerhoff.net/usi/index.html

Note: read the manual before installation!

Good luck!

5. krimb1 macrumors newbie

Just wondering if anyone has got this running on an Intel machine. I've vistited Brockerhoff's website, and copied his keyboard layout in the correct folder, but I don't see any new option available in System Preferences > International.

Could it be that his keyboard layout is PowerPC only?

*EDIT*

Whoops! Silly me! I never went to the Input Menu tab and was just looking in the Language Tab...

I know, don't say it :)

6. Bobbi Flekman macrumors regular

I have mine set to US International. You can use the Alt/Option key to type stuff like ü or ç. Check "Show Input menu in menu bar" and take a look at the menu options. There is a keyboard visual that will show you where the diacritical keys are located.