Unity becomes invisible

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mreg376, May 27, 2008.

1. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

I've been using Fusion on my new iMac for about two months now, and upgraded to 1.1.2 as soon as it was released. I usually use it in Unity mode, and leave the Windows task bar visible, for easy access to a few Windows programs, such as Word, WordPerfect and Photoshop 7. Starting a few days ago I noticed that after a while the Windows task bar would disappear. After some testing and prodding, I discovered that Fusion was still running, Windows was still running, and any Windows apps that I had started were still running. The only problem, and it's a big one, is that everything had become invisible. I could not even open the Fusion preferences panel -- it would just seem to ignore the command, although I'm sure that it was open but invisible too. In addition, a couple of other Mac programs would suffer the same fate, like Pages, and occasionally Safari -- open, then nothing. Curiously, never Mail. The only way to recover from the invisibility is to chose Suspend or Shut Down Guest from Fusion's Virtual Machine menu (or Force Quit Fusion), which it does seem to accomplish, although invisibly. Then I have to either restart the iMac or log out and then back in. Everything is then fine, until I get it all started again and then chose Unity, where a few hours later it all disappears again.

What I have taken to doing lately is not use Unity, and just keep Windows minimized on the dock, and all is fine. But I LIKE Unity.

I found some old posts on the same issue, and did what several people recommended, like uninstalling and then reinstalling VMware Tools. Didn't help. Also, upgrading to the 2.0 beta didn't help either. So I'm back to 1.1.2. It seems to me to be an issue between Unity and the graphic driver, but what do I know -- It's the same 1.1.2 and same graphic driver that worked well together for weeks.

Any help would be appreciated!

2. mreg376 thread starter macrumors 6502a

To supplement my own question, the problem is not limited to Unity. It's Fusion. Downgrading to 1.1.1 fixed it, for anyone interested.