Unity or Unreal engine developing on Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Nemomagic, May 14, 2015.

1. Nemomagic macrumors newbie

Hello!

I'm thinking of buying 1.3 256 for begginer's level of developing on any of this software: Unity 3D or Unreal Engine.
    It will be simple 2D platformers (no tough 3D games), I am just starter on this soft.

So 1,7K $ is very expensive for me and I really can not find any reviews of Unreal Engine or Unity performance on latest rMB.

Maybe someone here has such experience - I would be very thankful for this!

Or maybe someone may help me to try it on theirs rMB 1.3 (Both Unity and Unreal Engine now free - simple download and run something) ?

Would be very happy to hear any answers :)

2. elithrar macrumors 6502

elithrar

It would likely be okay, but I wouldn't recommend it as the primary machine for this stuff. A 13" Pro would be better suited.

3. Koudspeel macrumors regular

Koudspeel

Worth noting is that you can't run UDK on OSX.. Unless you're planning to use Windows through bootcamp.

4. tigerduck macrumors newbie

UDK (UE3) won't run on OS X, but Unreal 4 does. It's not very fast on a rMBP 13" late 2013. Unity may be okay for doing simple stuff. But as soon as lighting or particles get added to the mix it'll likely be bad. UE 4 I can't imagine working satisfactory on a rMB.

I don't have my rMB yet, but I have mixed feelings about doing anything in Unity on it.

5. Nemomagic thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your answers!

I see that it is not very effective for such tasks.
    But nevetheless maybe for simple 2D platformes it will be good enough.

I will be greateful for any experience of Unity or UE on rMB (especcially 1.3)

Thanks in Advance!

6. Barna Biro, May 15, 2015
    Last edited: May 15, 2015

Barna Biro macrumors 6502a

Barna Biro

Both U's are beast engines... why are you so set on them? If you really only want to do 2D games in the foreseeable future, then there are a bunch of 2D frameworks / libraries that you could use (e.g. Cocos2D, Sprite Kit, Sparrow, etc. ). This will usually mean that you won't have a fancy IDE where you'll be dragging and dropping stuff from a panel onto a scene and manually arranging stuff with your mouse, but you can still use very performant IDEs that will be of great help for programming ( which is what you'll be mainly doing ).

That being said, your rMB *might* be able to handle both U's *decently* as long as the projects are small, but as soon as you want something slightly bit more complex / graphic intensive, I'm quite sure you'll get frustrated / run into issues.

Bottom line: I'd not recommend a rMB for 3D development / design; on the other hand, for 2D, you can most likely get away with it. If you want to be on a much safer side, I recommend getting *at least* a 13" rMBP ( that's what I've been using since it first came out, but I don't really seriously develop games... more into enterprise level application development ).

7. Nemomagic thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for meaningful answer! I will use it.