Univeristy Laptop shouldnt upgrade?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Bilalo, Aug 30, 2012.

1. Bilalo macrumors 6502

I wanted to ask, my university tells me to not upgrade my MBP to OSX ML because the software they run doesnt function or whatever with Mountain Lion, it this possible/true? Do all apps have to upgrade their software from Lion to Mountain Lion as if its an upgrade from XP to vista and so on? I dont feel mountain lion is a whole operation system just a major update hence the same name and a cheaper upgrading price. The apps we use arent on the app store I think, theyre for science and DNA stuff and so on so.

Thank you

2. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

It's possible that the apps will still run - but if they haven't been tested and debugged in ML (which seems to be the case if they are recommending that you don't upgrade), I wouldn't risk it.

3. Bilalo thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks Mate :D
    I thought that Lion Apps are the same as mountain lion didnt think that mountain lion might need something different in them or whatev like vista and win7 did :/ I guess it isnt just an upgrade but a whole new os

4. Stooby Mcdoobie macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

No problem.

What I would do if I were you is I would create a new partition on your HDD and clone your first partition to the second partition (if you don't have enough room to make a complete clone, just clone the apps you'll be using for university) with the free version of SuperDuper!.

Then, upgrade partition one to ML - and when you're sure the apps work 100% in ML, you can delete the Lion partition to get your space back. Or, you could leave the Lion partition there and just use it for those apps.

5. Eddyala macrumors newbie

I live in the greatest city in the world-N.Y.C.
    Yeah, its a whole new OS but most Apps in Lion are also in Mountain Lion. I don't see much difference so I don't think you would have any problems if you install it. But since they are telling you a lot of things, it might be better to use your instincts. It is a Major upgrade and this is the first time since Apple has had an OS that they charge you for some of the Apps! Unlike every other Major
    operating system where they would give you All the Apps that came in the OS as part of the package, they wanna charge you for some of them. I don't get that at all but as far as the install goes, if it feels ok to you, then by all means go ahead and install it cause the difference in the two are very minimal. So do what you think...;)

:apple:2011 iMac 12GB RAM...500GB HD int. & 500GB HD ext. :apple: