Universal Chargers for 2016 MBP & 2016 rMB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jfriedman8, Oct 27, 2016.

1. jfriedman8 macrumors 6502

I am a little disappointed in today's update with the MBP's, but I have a home eco-system of Apple "stuff" and prefer the OS (albeit less than I used to) to Win10. I was really hoping for magstafe to hang on and something under 3 & 4lbs, respectively. I am very happy with USB-C and the reduced footprint size - which is enough reason why I want to upgrade everything. I'm tired of adapters on the road.

That leads me to my next question... I've never been able to wrap my head around the power wattage piece with Apple products and reading stuff on the forms. Here goes...

The new MBP 15" comes with a 87W USB-C Charger. The rMB comes with a 29W USB-C Charger. I am intending on buying this monitor: http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27UD88-W-4k-uhd-led-monitor which I believe has USB-C charging at 60W.

If I wanted to have the 15" MBP anchored to my desk being charged by the monitor, then leave the 87W Charger in my bag for both the 15" MBP and rMB, will:
    1. The 87W Charger fry the rMB Battery
    2. Will the 15"MBP be able to stay charged by the monitor
    3. What kind of charging could I expect with the 29W USB-C charger with the 15" MBP, or would that fry the wall plug?

...if anyone has a universal charger that would work as a one stop shop I would welcome suggestions.

Thanks for the help.

2. jfriedman8 thread starter macrumors 6502