Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

boylerman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 17, 2010
Massachusetts
I've got an iPad Pro running OS 15.5 and a 2022 MacBook Pro running 12.3.1. At one point, Universal Control worked, but when I went to use it yesterday, I could not get it to work. The Mac sees the iPad, and I can set it up as a display in the Display Settings, but it does not show up as a display to control via keyboard / mouse.

Both devices are on the same Apple ID, and on the same WiFi network and Bluetooth is enabled. I have restarted both devices, toggled Universal Control on and off on the Mac, but I cannot get it to work.

Has anyone found a solution to this?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Ventura County
When iOS 15.5 and MacOS 12.4 entered beta, Apple said universal control would not work with 15.4.x and 12.3.x.

Your Mac needs to be on 12.4 if your iPad is on 15.5.

contacos

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
I've got an iPad Pro running OS 15.5 and a 2022 MacBook Pro running 12.3.1. At one point, Universal Control worked, but when I went to use it yesterday, I could not get it to work. The Mac sees the iPad, and I can set it up as a display in the Display Settings, but it does not show up as a display to control via keyboard / mouse.

Both devices are on the same Apple ID, and on the same WiFi network and Bluetooth is enabled. I have restarted both devices, toggled Universal Control on and off on the Mac, but I cannot get it to work.

Has anyone found a solution to this?

Update your MBP. The release note of the beta clearly state that both devices need to run the beta for universal control to work

GregoryMichael

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2015
Hollywood
The only time mine ever breaks is when I connect to my work VPN. Are you on a VPN by any chance?
I updated to the RC of each OS, I do have VPN (Windscribe) I always disable and it works, though disabling now doesn't fix the issue. I will continue to troubleshoot. It may have something to do with the VPN being installed prior to OS update.

EDIT: I ended up getting it working. It was my VPN client interfering somehow (even if it was disabled). I uninstalled completely my VPN software and it worked immediately upon reboot.

*BONUS - I figured out I can still use my VPN *enabled* with Universal Control simultaneously via Wireguard app (with my VPN credentials). So for those that don't want to sacrifice one or the other...

Use the WireGuard app:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/wireguard/id1451685025?ls=1&mt=12

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.