Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2018
VA
Anyone know how to use UC for opening/closing apps on the iPad? Ex: I can use UC to open Safari...how do I close Safari (or Notes etc.) so I can then open another or different app on the iPad? Thanks.

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2018
VA
Found the Answer by searching the Forum. Doh! Anyways: 'Command H' on the MBP/Mac with the cursor on the iPad brings up the needed iPad controls.

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
Command H is “hide“ on Mac, and ”home” on iPad, but that’s not how to close an app.

From the Home Screen or inside an app, swipe up from the screen's bottom and hold. You will see all open apps and their cards, and then swipe up the app card to force quit it.

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2018
VA
Command H is “hide“ on Mac, and ”home” on iPad, but that’s not how to close an app.

From the Home Screen or inside an app, swipe up from the screen's bottom and hold. You will see all open apps and their cards, and then swipe up the app card to force quit it.
Thanks for the reply but: What I wanted was to know was how to 'change ' windows on the iPad when an app was open and while using Universal Control. CMD-H on the MBP that is connected to the iPad (Sometimes!)brings up the Shortcuts Menu/Window on the iPad. It also closes out the App that is on the iPad if done ON the iPad. This is what I was after. I know; a little confusing to describe.

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
Thanks for the reply but: What I wanted was to know was how to 'change ' windows on the iPad when an app was open and while using Universal Control. CMD-H on the MBP that is connected to the iPad (Sometimes!)brings up the Shortcuts Menu/Window on the iPad. It also closes out the App that is on the iPad if done ON the iPad. This is what I was after. I know; a little confusing to describe.
Command+Tab to cycle through open apps.

The shortcuts menu comes up when you hold Command without any other key.

Reactions: Blowback

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2018
VA
Command+Tab to cycle through open apps.

The shortcuts menu comes up when you hold Command without any other key.
Thanks StudioMacs! Much appreciated. Funny, as a long time Mac user I had always 'experimented' with the control and other keys....but lost that 'Thought-link' with Universal Control! CMD-Tab does all I need.
Now: hope Apple gives us a way to make the cursor (on the iPad side when using UCtrl) more discernible or to modify it. Need something better than the dull circle.

Last edited:

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
Thanks StudioMacs! Much appreciated. Funny, as a long time Mac user I had always 'experimented' with the control and other keys....but lost that 'Thought-link' with Universal Control! CMD-Tab does all I need.
Now: hope Apple gives us a way to make the cursor (on the iPad side when using UCtrl) more discernible or to modify it. Need something better than the dull circle.
I like that with universal control we get Mac goodies like an Escape key on the iPad, since the magic keyboard for iPad doesn’t have one.

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2018
VA
I like that with universal control we get Mac goodies like an Escape key on the iPad, since the magic keyboard for iPad doesn’t have one.
Where are you seeing the escape key? Off topic: part of my initial problems seems to have been 'patience ' as for some of the commands it takes a sed or two for things to happen. Could be my older iPadPro (2016).

StudioMacs

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2022
Where are you seeing the escape key? Off topic: part of my initial problems seems to have been 'patience ' as for some of the commands it takes a sed or two for things to happen. Could be my older iPadPro (2016).
The Escape key on the Mac keyboard works on the iPad!

Reactions: Blowback

dandeco

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2008
Brockton, MA
Oh wow, somehow Universal Control was automatically enabled on both my Mac OS Monterey-enabled Mac laptops with the recent update! This is kinda cool! I'll have to try it out with my iPad running iOS 15.5!
C2B92F92-68DA-4648-9176-DF96B2F2F921_1_201_a.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.