Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

'73-B

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Arlington, VA
I have an iPod universal dock that is about a year old. It came with a bunch of inserts for different iPods. I was wondering if anyone knows if Apple makes an adapter to use the iPhone with the universal dock. I saw they just released an updated dock, but I would prefer not to have to buy a new one.

Thanks!

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
I have an iPod universal dock that is about a year old. It came with a bunch of inserts for different iPods. I was wondering if anyone knows if Apple makes an adapter to use the iPhone with the universal dock. I saw they just released an updated dock, but I would prefer not to have to buy a new one.

Thanks!

Yes, they do make a universal dock adapter for the iPhone. I think I saw it at the apple store.

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
i have to ask: why come here to ask instead of going right to the apple store online? :confused: going there, clicking on "cables & docks" under the iphone section on the main page shows THIS as one of the results. voila, instant gratification instead of coming to a forum not officially affiliated with the apple store.

'73-B

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Arlington, VA
i have to ask: why come here to ask instead of going right to the apple store online? :confused: going there, clicking on "cables & docks" under the iphone section on the main page shows THIS as one of the results. voila, instant gratification instead of coming to a forum not officially affiliated with the apple store.

The reason I came here and asked is because the dock adapter was not in the Apple Store or on the Apple Store Online when I checked. It must have been just added. The sales person I talked to at the Apple Store indicated that he was unaware of a dock adapter.

So, no need to get testy and flame me for asking a question here.

rxmxsh

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
Irvine, Ca
The reason I came here and asked is because the dock adapter was not in the Apple Store or on the Apple Store Online when I checked. It must have been just added. The sales person I talked to at the Apple Store indicated that he was unaware of a dock adapter.

No need to be defensive. This item has been online since the week of launch. Perhaps you overlooked it. The poster gave you the link, she didn't just smart off. And while mostly helpful - Apple employees don't always have a clue as to what's going on around them...

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England

how is asking you a question flaming you?

if being asked "why come here to ask instead of going right to the apple store online?" without any insults or derogatory comments is too much for your sensibilities, methinks participating in an online forum is not for you.

and i'm not even going to use the rolling eyes emoticon here, even though this really merits it.

No need to be defensive. This item has been online since the week of launch. Perhaps you overlooked it. The poster gave you the link, she didn't just smart off. And while mostly helpful - Apple employees don't always have a clue as to what's going on around them...

thanks for confirming that my response was not a smart-*ssed one and that i actually did give him the link to help him. not sure why i try to help noobs when they just get upset. ;)

rxmxsh

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2007
Irvine, Ca
how is asking you a question flaming you?

if being asked "why come here to ask instead of going right to the apple store online?" without any insults or derogatory comments is too much for your sensibilities, methinks participating in an online forum is not for you.

and i'm not even going to use the rolling eyes emoticon here, even though this really merits it.

thanks for confirming that my response was not a smart-*ssed one and that i actually did give him the link to help him. not sure why i try to help noobs when they just get upset. ;)

Haha, I just realized you're from EiP.... :p

MagicWok

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2006
London
Ok I'm confused lol...

I went into an Apple Store in beverley hills, just under a week ago. I picked up an iPod Touch and asked for one of the Universal Docks.

I was told by two store-employee's not to buy the dock as there is a new one coming out that offered HD-Video output? I ended up not getting one, were they talking rubbish? I probably would have just got a dock, but with two of them telling me there's a new one comign out soon, it caught me off guard a little as I didn't recall hearing news on here about a new dock!

Anyway, please enlighten me lol

sJv

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
Sierra Foothills, CA
Apple does have a new dock coming out. It's $10 more than the old dock, but now includes the remote control. For video, you will need the $50 Apple video cable as it doesn't appear to have an S-video output port like the old dock.

The old docks will still work with the new ipods and iphones, but the S-video jack only works with the previous gen iPods IIRC.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...d/ipod_accessories/cables_docks&nplm=MB125G/A

-steve

Ok I'm confused lol...

I went into an Apple Store in beverley hills, just under a week ago. I picked up an iPod Touch and asked for one of the Universal Docks.

I was told by two store-employee's not to buy the dock as there is a new one coming out that offered HD-Video output? I ended up not getting one, were they talking rubbish? I probably would have just got a dock, but with two of them telling me there's a new one comign out soon, it caught me off guard a little as I didn't recall hearing news on here about a new dock!

Anyway, please enlighten me lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.