Universal Docking Stations

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by xc runner, Jan 30, 2016.

1. xc runner macrumors member

Hey everyone:

I have to thank everyone for their help in the past. Apologies as I am not savvy - now I am in the market for a universal dock for my Lenovo (work) and Macbook Pro (for personal). I currently have a Dell monitor that I plug both into both of these units. Ideally, I would love to purchase another monitor and have this dock longterm, but I am aware technology constantly changes. Additionally, my work laptop will be upgraded every few years.

Does anyone have a docking station recommendation that might be able to last me at least a few years? Thank you in advance!

2. carestudio macrumors 6502

what kind of interfaces you are looking for? usb 3.0? usb 3.1 type-c? or thunderbolt 2? 3? :)

3. MCAsan, Feb 1, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2016

MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

With new Macs moving to USB-C ports this year that do USB-3.1 and TB3......the current universal docking stations will not be that when the new machines start shipping. All the docking station vendors had better have a new design planned that is based upon USB-C ports, higher speed protocols, and hooking up 4K and 5K monitors.

4. xc runner thread starter macrumors member

I'm thinking whatever gets me to use two screens for both my Mac and PC. I know my work docking station uses USB SS, but I wasn't sure if Mac can read that to run two monitors.

5. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

What model of Macbook? What resolution and refresh rate for the monitors? 1K, 2K, 4K, 5K....30hz or much better 60Hz?

6. xc runner thread starter macrumors member

MacBook is a 13" late 2013 Pro with retina. My current monitor is a Dell 24" with 60Hz and I would be adding a second here shortly. Not quite sure what the resolution is, but I did not get 4k or 5k. I'm usually using the screens for studying or doing taxes (yes I know "fun stuff").

I just figured it's easier coming home and throwing in one cord than using several. Especially since I switch to my MacBook when I'm not working

7. carestudio macrumors 6502

You will probably need to look into CalDigit's thunderbolt stations 2.