Universal Handbrake settings

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by carmmic, Apr 10, 2013.

1. carmmic macrumors newbie

I have ATV3, iPad2 and iPhone 5.
    I am looking for settings for Handbrake that I can use to rip my DVD's and BluRays at the best quality possible while maintaining comparability across these three devices.
    I have been using the 'AppleTV 3' settings in Handbrake, but this breaks the comparability of the output file with my iPad and iPhone.
    Any suggestions?
    :apple:

2. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

I usually select regular high profile for everything.

3. carmmic thread starter macrumors newbie

And to you find that his works on iPhone, iPad and Appletv 3?
    My concern is also that I'd like to keep the constant quality as high as possible for the instances where I am watching on my AppleTV, 720p or 1080p would be my preference...

4. Mackan macrumors 65816

I use the regular high profile preset as well. CRF 20, constant frame rate. Gives me high profile 3.1 for my 720p rips. Haven't tried playback on iPhone though, but the iOS devices can all handle high profile 4.1, so not sure what would break compatibility.

5. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Give it a try and see if it's ok for you.

6. MFL2012 macrumors member

The "large file size" option is probably breaking compatibility with your iOS devices. Try converting a DVD with that box unchecked and see what happens.

7. dynaflash macrumors 68020

Incorrect. IOS devices (and really all apple devices) playback 64 bit mp4s going way back to the original Ipod 5G.

8. MFL2012 macrumors member

My mistake. Just going by what I saw while having the mouse pointer over that option in Handbrake.

9. dynaflash macrumors 68020

No problem, the main reason it was even optional was for the PS3 and a few other devices that had issues with 64 bit mp4's. Apple devices going waaay back are 64 bit mp4 compatible which is why all apple device presets in HB use "large file size" (which equals 64 bit mp4).