Universal MagSafe Power Adapter

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kenn, Jan 19, 2009.

1. kenn macrumors member

I hear rumours a Universal MacBook (MagSafe) power adaptor is on its way to the market. Can anyone confirm this?

2. juanster macrumors 68020

juanster

i doubt it... makes no sens to me , the MBP and MB use different ones... so i Dont see how one can be made for both.. maybe with a switch or something? it woudl make no sense IMO since they already have one for each

3. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

IIRC, you can use a higher wattage MagSafe with any lower-wattage computer, essentially making the 85w MBP MagSafe compatible with both the MB and the air.

4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Bingo. Just buy one of those.

5. kenn thread starter macrumors member

How and Why? Is it by accident or is it really an adapter feature. Then I think the universal Mac power adapter is already here.:)

6. kenn thread starter macrumors member

Looked into it a little bit. Some say a 60W MacBook Alu machine will work fine with an 85W Magsafe adaptor. Some say a 85W Macbook works fine with a 60W Magsafe adapter. What's up and down here? Anyone tried it out? Like to hear about it.

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The Macbook runs just dandy on the MBP adapter. The computer will only take the wattage input it needs.

Using the 60W with the MBP though, may not provide enough juice during high-activity tasks to both charge the battery and run the computer, so you'll be draining the battery while plugged in.

8. kenn thread starter macrumors member

Any idea if it is recommended by the Apple company? I think I once read on the 85W adapter box that it works with the MacBook Alu 60W?

9. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

There already IS a universal MagSafe, what do you think that thing on the 24" ACD is?

MacBook Air - Needs the right-angle connector so it fits with the machine resting on the table

MacBook - Needs at least 65w to charge

MacBook Pro - Needs at least 85w to charge.

ALL adapters use the same voltage and connector pins, just different current capacity. So.....if you made one with at least 85w AND the right angle connector, it will run and charge all 3 Apple laptops.

10. kenn thread starter macrumors member

11. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

12. jampat macrumors 6502a

The laptop only draws the power it requires. You can't smoke the laptop by using a larger power supply. If the laptop tries to draw more than the power supply can provide, you can smoke the power supply. Therefore, MBP magsafe can be safely used on any current laptop. Depending on how Apple protected the MB version, running a MBP off it, may smoke the charger, or the extra power it needs may come from the battery.

13. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

14. Tinknock71 macrumors 6502

Tinknock71

With the right angle would be real nice, I would buy one for sure!

15. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I interchange my MBP and Alum MB adapters all of the time. They both charge wonderfully, to tell you the truth I am not sure which is which at the moment. I imagine the MB adapter does charge the MBP a bit more slowly, but only if I am actually working on the MBP at the time.